• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

howdy... need advice on possible mini purchase for video

L

LDGn63

i couldnt find a spot for an "intro" so here goes.

been using macs since '98 but i am really a novice user.
have a G3 tower(one of the first - old) and a G3 ibook that is about 3.5yrs old.

Now, on to the ????'s

i need to backup some of my kid's videos and movies since they get scratched all the time...
i bought a Lacie external HD and DVD burner for my ibook... i like the HD but the DVD burning is killing me!

it has taken up to 3hrs45min to rip a single (large) DVD using MTR to my HD.
and the first 1hr video i burned took about 5hrs to burn.

do you rekon (texas word) my ibook is just too old (being a G3) or am i doing something wrong??? probably a combo...

i am NOW considering a mini to replace the G3 tower and use it to burn with and do pictures... can anybody tell me how long it takes a mini to burn a video DVD? (ive searched but i cant seem to find)

my friends that have PC's swear they can rip a whole movie in no more than an hour.... i WAS expecting MORE (qiucker) from my sexy mac...

thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
mtr on my powermac takes about 15-20 minutes, compression 25, burning 3

it is possible your computer might be too old and slow by now to do these things very quickly. a mini would be pretty efficient at doing this, but that is just a guess, we need some mini users to chime in here who have done this
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
I believe you will need at least a G4 computer to get faster results. Also a firewire and/or USB 2 connection is needed between your DVD burner and computer.
It takes me no more than 20mins using MTR with my 1.5Ghz PowerBook G4.

OP
L

LDGn63

thanks all for the responses!
you are givin me hope!

info i forgot to mention: HD is firewire and DVD is USB2.0...
should i switch them?

yes, i would like to hear from some mini users as well...
how fast can you go? ;-)

MTR= Mac The Ripper = SWEEET!

OP
L

LDGn63

ah-ha!!!
i would STILL like to know how fast a MINI can do it but,

i found THIS on LaCie's site: (after the fact of course)
and this still seem sslow by PC comparison...

"The software bundled with your DVD recorders says it will work on a G3 or newer. But your specs state that it needs a G4 or newer. Why?
While we do not test our products on computers older than the G4, the DVD recorder should work on a Blue & White G3.
The bundled recording software does state that it will work on a G3, but we have found the G3 processor to be very slow if compiling video and not workable for most customers.

An example of compiling speeds:

A G4/1.0 GHz takes about 7 minutes to compile each minute of video.

A G4 /500 GHz takes about 17 minutes per one minute of video.

A G3 processor will take a much longer time to process, possibly a day or longer depending on the length of video.
If you are using Toast Titanium or CaptyDVD, a possible solution may be the LaCie FastCoder. This will convert DV NTSC to MPEG-1 and/or MPEG-2 files using a FireWire bus in real-time. Information on the FastCoder and what files it supports is available here.

Note:
Video playback may not be smooth if the clock frequency of the Mac is slow. For example: a Blue & White G3/350 MHz playback may be choppy compared to a PowerMac G4/733 MHz. (FastCoder would not solve this)."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
LDGn63 said:
A G4 /500 GHz takes about 17 minutes per one minute of video.

"
Lol you mean 500Mhz?

Reaction score
for better times.. you may need to get the internal dvd burner for the tower..
this will work on that

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~518979.asp

i sell nothing but lacie drives.. but for that tower you need the internal burner

to answer the question about the mini.. i have the 1.42 version.. rev. a.. depending on the size of the dvd itself.. it can be anywhere from 10-15 minutes to about 1 hour.. and i do have 1gb ram in there. i normally dont compress.. i use dvd2onex to strip out the movie only.. that only takes about 5 mins.. the burn on verbatim dvd+r 8x at 8x.. another 6 minutes

OP
L

LDGn63

i was unclear.. i am using the ibook to burn. (sorry)
i also figured out (you are gonna love this) that my USB's are 1.1 and NOT 2.0 like i thought!.... since my HD was hooked up to the FireWire... I was using the USB for the DVD burn.... duh....
i'm gonna try to daisy chain the HD and DVD and see how that works!

Thanks for the info about the mini... it really helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.