Please help.... iMac or iMac Retina 5k?

Reaction score
I could sure use some basic guidance and suggestions here...

First concern:

Money isn't really the issue, and I know the 5K is insanely better display-wise but my hang-up is that the Retina might be TOO good.... Example: I hopped on one of the 5k displays at Best Buy and browsed around at some of the websites I've recently designed only to realize how crisp some of my UI elements WERE NOT.... I mean... A 5k monitor is as good as it gets but it seems like total over-kill for web-design... How would I ever make 72 dpi elements appear CRISP on a 5k display?

My second concern:

SPEED is why I'm looking to upgrade..... Would I be sacrificing performance if going the 5k route?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Example: I hopped on one of the 5k displays at Best Buy and browsed around at some of the websites I've recently designed only to realize how crisp some of my UI elements WERE NOT....

High DPI displays are the future. If your existing work doesn't look good on these displays, then don't you think you SHOULD get one to make sure your work does look good on them going forward?

Reaction score
Even when money was tight, I went for the 5k display. It was a no brainer decision.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.