• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iOS 8.4 loses Home Sharing

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Amazing how this is a "known issue" according to the release notes. I wouldn't be surprised if this had something to do with the streaming service. Why let people share what they own for free if you can get them to pay for the streaming service?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I actually read about this yesterday before I was going to upgrade my Mac Mini, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. I use Home Sharing around the house all the time as I have quite a large iTunes library. I have absolutely no desire to upload my iTunes library with cloud sharing. On the road, I stream Spotify. I only intend to pay for 1 service.

As I would like to upgrade my systems, are there any music streaming alternatives?

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually read about this yesterday before I was going to upgrade my Mac Mini, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. I use Home Sharing around the house all the time as I have quite a large iTunes library. I have absolutely no desire to upload my iTunes library with cloud sharing. On the road, I stream Spotify. I only intend to pay for 1 service.

As I would like to upgrade my systems, are there any music streaming alternatives?

That depends on what you are streaming to. If it's an Apple TV, then I think not (edit: you should be able to use AirPlay for audio to an ATV from most any app). To iPhone/iPad/Mac, then there are plenty. You can set up Plex Media Server and stream to any of those. There are other alternatives, though I'm not familiar with anything else. Plex works extremely well for video, so audio should be cake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I've been thinking about Plex so I'll give it a look. Generally, I stream my music from my office (which is on the 2nd floor) to my iPhone when I'm in my basement workshop, or outside. I usually have earbuds in so I don't get too distracted by other people or to bluetooth speakers.

Thanks for reminding me of Plex.

Bill

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Perhaps, a link where I can read it? Thanks!

Go to the link provided in Post #1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone know if this has been fixed in the latest IOS update?

I just checked and unless I'm missing something, it has NOT been fixed. I can only see shared videos, not music.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's been an update to iOS released today: iOS 8.4.1 which corrects some problems with Apple Music, however, I don't use it and do not know if sharing has been restored.

C

chas_m

I can tell you for a fact that homesharing for music is back in IOS 9, but I can't remember if it's planned to be put back before then. Anyone who is missing it, just hang tight.

Reaction score
It's not Good, I think it should be fixed, guys what would you suggest?
Should I keep any hope regarding this issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As usual with any fix from Apple, you'll just have to wait on it. Also take note from previous posts that it has been fixed in iOS 9 which is forthcoming this Fall. You need to learn to read through an entire thread. ;)

C

chas_m

For the love of all that's holy Vijay, READ THE THREAD. This issue was resolved MONTHS ago.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He's a spammer chas. He will be banned very shortly. You overlooked his links which are full of ads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.