• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Maker (editor) Recommendation?

Reaction score
I'd like to hear any video maker recommendations. A simple video maker (editor) in the tradition of Openshot (Linux), Kdenlive (KDE Linux) or even Windows Movie Maker.

I find iMove cumbersome and not intuitive. So please, don't try to point out how I could get use to it. I just prefer something else, if available, please.

MANY THANKS in advance!

C

chas_m

You're not going to get many suggestions, because iMovie is not cumbersome and unintuitive -- but your closed mind about learning something that uses a different approach is getting in the way.

Still, you want alternative suggestions, here are some. I hope you can find what you're looking for among these:

* Fastcut -- TIMES FOR FUN - FastCut ($32)
* Videopad -- Video Editing Software. Download Free Video Movie Editor ($32)
* Adobe Premiere Elements -- https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements.html ($120)

OP
Spellbinder
Reaction score
Uh, closed minded? Really? You're just going to assume I haven't attempted to use iMovie. Nice.

I tried and I'm just not a fan. My opinion is just as valid as yours. You say it is not cumbersome or unintuitive. I respect your opinion, you should at least respect mine instead of talking to my like I'm a newbie to Mac.

I used several tutorials, including this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGG5kbMKmLo

When in Linux, I really loved the simplicity and straight forward options of Openshot and Kdenlive. I was just curious if anything along those lines existed for Mac or if anyone had some ideas.

Thanks for the input, nonetheless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Uh, closed minded? Really? You're just going to assume I haven't attempted to use iMovie. Nice.

Don't ever say anything with chas around that implies an Apple product or device is anything less than a divine gift from the gods. He tends to froth at the mouth when he responds and quarantining him to be sure it isn't rabies gets tedious.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're not going to get many suggestions, because iMovie is not cumbersome and unintuitive
Yes it is.

but your closed mind about learning something that uses a different approach is getting in the way.
Blaming the user...is this because Apple is always right and when something doesn't work, it must be the user's fault (since Apple can do no wrong)?

Spellbinder, there's avidemux and if you're really interested in using something like Kdenlive, there are instructions for installing it on their website.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.