• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Where are all the movies in Photos?

Reaction score
My MACbook is grinding to a halt. Photos tells me I have over 1000 movies; in "about the MAC, storage" I see I have 96gb of movies - but when I search it seems to only located less than 1 gb. Where are all theses files?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you click on "Movies" in the Photos sidebar what do you see? And welcome to the Mac-Forums.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
How did you search for Movies? Are you sure these are camera movies not iTunes movies or perhapes you have downloaded movies somewhere?
I suppose you have looked in the Movies directory in the sidebar of the finder window as below; And welcome to this forum.

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 09.11.22.png

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Rod; I don't have any real movies downloaded, they are all juust videos I have taken on my phone or camera(s). When I am in finder and I go to movies in the sidebar I get 3 items - it says:
imovie events
imovie original movies
iMovie projects

also when i do a search in finder on This Mac or "all my files" that uses kind:movie or kind:movies or kind:videos it still only shows up 30 movies (they only add up to <1gb); BUT - when as per chscag's suggestion (thanks!) to look in photos sidebar under movies - I CAN see 93gb of movies!
So - great, I have located the movies - but why don't I see them in finder when i perform the search? Thank you for your help

OP
P
Reaction score
Hello and thanks, your suggestion showed up the files - however please see my response to Rod Sprague on this? why did it not turn up in my searches? Thank you

C

chas_m

The reason you don't see them in Finder is because they are in the Photos Library. DO NOT MESS WITH THE PHOTOS LIBRARY.

If you need to create a copy of a movie to work with it in some other program, just "drag" the movie out of Photos onto the desktop and it will create a copy. iMovie should already be updated to "see" movies inside Photos (as it did with iPhoto), but you may need to update iMovie for this to happen.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks, I do need to do something with iMovies as I can't see anything. Sorry to be such a thicko but why would I NOT see it in finder, if it is in photo library?

C

chas_m

Because the Photos library is a carefully-managed database, and stored as a package which is not normally examinable from the Finder. The package itself is visible, but not its contents -- and again, you are **strongly** advised not to go messing around in the Photos (or iPhoto) Library package unless you want to lose data!

See my above post for suggestions on how to "do something" with a video you have in Photos.

OP
P
Reaction score
just thinkg about this some more; the library is clogging up my hard drive - I wanted to move the whole load of videos onto an external drive to free up some space - is that the best option or are you saying I might lose data that way?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
poggles, you can use the export command under the file menu to move copies of you movies (you sure have a lot) to a folder of your choice. You can then use the Delete command in Photos to remove it from the Photos Library and Trash it. You can then put the folder you created onto an external HD.
That way you can always Import some at a later time.
Alternatively you can copy the whole Photos library to an external HD and start off with a new empty Library but I find this method to be hard to manage and it has some risks.

Incidentally at the bottom of the Photos Folder (not All Photos) window in the Photos sidebar you will see a the total number of Photos and Videos in the library at the bottom of the window.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hello I have been busy exporting the movies and then copying them over to an external hard drive and then deleting the original from photos once I am sure the movie is on the external hard drive. However even once I then empty the trash, the storage seems to be not freeing up - am I missing something? I was trying to get rid of all the movies so the MAC goes faster ...! Having moved 40 gb of photos the overall number hasn't got bigger - I still only have around 12 gb free (although this seems to fluctuate as I do stuff). Thanks for your help

C

chas_m

Did you check the "recently deleted" folder in Photos? I would bet that Photos is helpfully storing your deleted files there (similar to the way iPhoto had its own, not-obvious trash) because LOTS of people change their mind about deleting things when it comes to photos and movies. I believe (can't test this right now) that if you delete the files from there, they are gone and once the trash is emptied, the free space will be restored.

Reaction score
My MACbook is grinding to a halt. Photos tells me I have over 1000 movies; in "about the MAC, storage" I see I have 96gb of movies - but when I search it seems to only located less than 1 gb. Where are all theses files?

Post snapshot

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops meant to mention you need empty the iPhoto trash, Clean My Mac does that for me.;)
As I run a lot of movies through iTunes (for Apple TV) I am aware that when deleting a movie there are two choices, you can remove it from the Playlist and/or you can move it to the Trash. I have encountered a few people who have for some time only been removing movies from the playlist. This effectively makes them disappear but they remain in the iTunes library. I just wonder how many other people make this mistake?

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.