Virus found message. Any tip how to deal with it?

Reaction score
I went to clean up old bookmarks and web locations. Had several websites simultaneously opened with Safari.
Suddenly this message appeared:
---------------------
Virus found
The last website you visited has infected your Mac with a virus.
Press OK to begin the repair process.
---------------------------

Under the message was displayed only a blue OK button with no option to refuse.
This warning was sent by
http:/macupdate.com-apple.club/healthcheck/VIRUS_FOUND.html

Did check Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps - Discover & Download : MacUpdate - it sells software but I’ve never use its services.

Did not get the address of the website.
which allegedly infected my Mac.

I was not sure whether this message is legitimate and did not pressed OK as instructed.
Instead force closed Safari and trashed all cookies.

Could someone with relevant experience ,please, tell me what to do about this case, do I really have a virus and if yes what actions to take.

Any help to understand this case will be mush appreciated!

My Mac has OS 10.6.8, Fire Wall is on.
By the way my Safari 5.1.10 is set properly has plugin WOT which checks websites and I found it very helpful in a couple of occasions.
I’m not a techie , just a regular Mac user.

Thanks In advance everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
NO, you don't have a Virus. This is just cruel marketing ploy, to get you to download their Software, for free, then ask you too pay, to get the supposedly Virus off your Mac.

But, there is a quick, easy and free way to check.
Download AdwareMedic and run it, and/or ClamXav. Between the 2, they will find and get rid of any nasties, on your Mac.
If these Apps don't pick anything up, then you are clean and right to keep working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
+1 ^^^^ for what he said!

You may also have to delete your browser history and check for and uninstall any unknown or unwanted browser extensions.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
ClamXAV is a great program, another one to check out is Sophos for Mac Home Edition. I run that on my Air and has saved me from a few viruses. I often use my mac to check some suspicious emails that come into my company to make sure that they are not infected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.