• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Multiple longterm problems with iMovie; must keep restarting

Reaction score
I have iMovie 9.0.9 running on a MacBook Pro Retina (December 2013), 500 GB flash storage. 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM. Running Yosemite. I bought this setup specifically to make movies.

I have to quit iMovie about every 3-5 minutes when editing to make it functional again. Various things happen. The most common is when I am attempting to scroll through to select clips in events, the viewer above freezes on one frame and doesn't advance (even though I am moving the cursor). Often the image that shows in the editing window isn’t even from that Event. If I want to trim 1 second off a clip in the movie, I can't watch the action change. I just have to look at the length of the clip.

Sometimes when playing back the movie the image freezes but the sound continues.

Frequently I get black screen when moving through the movie itself. It starts with one clip but soon spreads so that I can’t edit. Seems to happen especially when I do a lot of title frames (I make educational movies).

I can never play a movie in full screen mode without restarting iMovie immediately beforehand, and sometimes even then it freezes and crashes.

This acts like an insufficient memory problem to me. The problem is worse when I am low on storage space, but still exists when I have 100 GB available or so.

Often the processor runs really hot/fast when editing.

The computer has done this through every version of iMovie I've ever had (including the newer one; I returned to 9.0.9). I always quit all other applications when using iMovie.

I don’t think my black frame problem is the same as others have reported where specific clips are corrupted. It is a progressive problem after I have been working for a while. It happens with every movie I make. My movies are generally 2-4 minutes long. Once in a while up to 8-10 minutes.

I separate my iPhoto library (creating libraries through Aperture) into years since I do have a lot of video clips and the hard drive is so small. A lot of my events are on external drives, but the problem exists even when everything is on the Pro.

Before I spring for a new Pro with a 1 TB drive, does anyone have any suggestions? So sick of this. Thank's for reading this far!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.