help me upgrade to ssd if you know what im talking about

Reaction score
i want to upgrade my macbooks performance speed... but i have no idea what im doing, i would like to upgrade my current hdd to a ssd with 250 Gb-ish storage but i dont know whats compatible with my mid 2012 13in macbook.

also i bearly know what im talking, about so if there are any questions please ask to help me help you. haha thanks :)

would this work for it?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E500B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434336739&sr=8-2&keywords=ssd+840+samsung&pebp=1434336827119&perid=6BF1E8A84B364608A25C

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'ay and welcome to the forums.

If it were my choice I would give anything Samsung a miss, but that is me after bad runs. You have not supplied your operating system, but be aware since Yosemite,. Apple changed security KEXTS so TRIM cannot be enabled on thrid party SSD's, installed after sales. To over come this OWC developed a 'Grabage Collection' utility that works with their SSD's in place of TRIM.

Here is a link to OWC and their SSD's:-

Mercury 6G Solid State Drives 2.5" Serial-ATA 9.5mm 6Gb/s

M

MacInWin

I think, Harry, that the OWC drives themselves have the garbage collection built into the SandForce controller. I have one in my MBP and there isn't any "OWC developed" software for it, you just install in physically and it's there.

But I do second your recommendation for OWC drives. In addition, OWC has videos of how to install them. So the OP can see what is needed and how to do it. It's not hard, just be careful and follow the instructions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think, Harry, that the OWC drives themselves have the garbage collection built into the SandForce controller.

True.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.