• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

You Can Now Sideload Apps On iOS w/out a Developer Account !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes you heard it here first, Apple will now let you Sideload a App not your iOS Device, without the need to be a Registered Developer.
Just like the Android phones, this is now possible with Xcode 7, a free albeit, a huge 5+GB (from memory) download from the Developer Member Centre.

Sideload Apps On iOS For Free With Xcode 7 | Redmond Pie

Until yesterday, anyone wishing to install a app outside App Store on their iPhone or iPad needed to have an active developer account in order to do so – costing $99 a year, or a jailbreak to achieve the same thing for free. However, now that the iOS and Mac developer accounts have been rolled into one, it has become clear that people who want to install apps on their iPhone or iPad without having any developer account at all can do just that.

Xcode 7 allows anyone to download, build and ‘sideload’ iOS apps for free | 9to5Mac

This is a great thing, for Business, where they Develop in-house for themselves, they can now Develop a App they need for their Business, and load it onto the Work devices for free.

Good on you Apple. Free sidled Apps, All-in-one Development Accounts, and Swift 2 going Open Source. I'm liking these changes very much :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Whoa. THAT is long overdue. I've long been hoping they would loosen up on iOS a bit and go down a similar route with Gatekeeper in OS X and at least give us a way to install any signed app from outside the App Store. Is there any requirement for the apps to be signed?

EDIT: I see you are actually compiling the app from source code, and since you don't have to be a registered developer, I'm guessing "no" on the code signing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.