Bricked macbook a1181

Reaction score
SO. I'm a 20-something year old Windows wizard that just acquired his first macbook. However, I have a problem. I'm trying to figure out what I can do. I have a macbook a1181 with a completely fudged/empty hard drive. I can't boot it using any fancy boot option keys. I received the computer from my friend who got it as a birthday present quite a few years ago. The computer was purchased legitimately. The only issue is that he tried to install Windows XP on it, and at the time didn't know what Bootcamp was, it flopped almost immediately after wiping the drive, and promptly pooped itself. Currently, the computer will give the waking 'gong' sound, and after a few seconds, regardless of which keys are pressed, it will show a grey folder icon with a question mark in it (as if to say "the balls is my operating system?" or a more accusatory "what have you done to me? why? I feel cold")

I currently own a fully-equipped windows 7 computer. I also have a nifty cable that allows me to hook any hard drive up to my USB ports and it makes any hard drive act like an external.

What can I do with this computer? I'll take any possible installation tips, I just want the thing running so that I can use it for school (I'm banking on it not being powerful enough for games and such), but I'd prefer the option to use XP. Can I install a mac-friendly version of XP on the internal macbook hard drive through a PC? Can I install mac OSX 10.6 (I believe that's the version I should be starting it out on) on the internal hard drive using a Win7 PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.