• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MacKeeper Refunds

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I saw that in a Macworld article. Thanks for posting it Randy.

And I moved it here instead of the Apps and Games forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Charlie, can we get this Stickied at all, because it would be a great place to point "all those people asking about MacKeeper"?? EDIT : Just for at least a month or 2 until this thing gets out to the people ??

Anyway, I went to finish the Article then this one popped up at the bottom MacKeeper celebrates a difficult birthday under the cloud of a class action lawsuit | PCWorld and I paid particular attention to this :

AV Comparatives, an Austrian company that evaluates antivirus programs, recently tested the latest trial version of MacKeeper at the request of IDG News Service. It was installed on a fresh, fully patched version of OS X Yosemite, Apple’s latest operating system. In theory, the system should have had no problems.

MacKeeper warned in red in several places with exclamation points that the computer’s condition was “serious” due to more than 500MB of “junk” files.

After fixing 85 files for free, it warned more than 1,500 need cleaning—but only if the full version of the program was purchased. Those that supposedly need cleaning up included language files.

BAD, VERY BAD people they are. . . . .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
The article states it was a 2 million settlment of which 1/3 goes to the lawyers. Over 513,330 people purchased MacKeeper at $39.95 each for a total of 20.4 million which means if they all file they will get pennies in a refund.

The second article really indicates what the big problem is. It alerts on problems in a fresh install? And a lot of the alerts involve innocuous language files? Really??? That says it all.

Sad that they will still be selling it too.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hopefully they will eventually get banned from selling it and end this issue all together.. Sad those who bought it would only get chump change compared to what they spent buying and then having their computer fixed from its screwing their system up. Not to mention collateral damage to personal files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Doubt it Exodist. Gosh I hate spell check programs. Insists I mean Exodus lol!

The last line of the article shows they are still defending it and have no doubt continue selling it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Doubt it Exodist. Gosh I hate spell check programs. Insists I mean Exodus lol!
I know right.. Mac spell checking is anything but multi linguil friendly.

The last line of the article shows they are still defending it and have no doubt continue selling it.
LOL they got a better chance of defending lead gas. Unless they spend all their money on layers.. Double edged sword they are playing with.

C

chas_m

I hate to sound cynical, but why wouldn't they keep selling it unless legally barred from doing so? It clearly makes at least 10x the money it costs to defend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I hate to sound cynical, but why wouldn't they keep selling it unless legally barred from doing so? It clearly makes at least 10x the money it costs to defend.

No, not cynical.

The problem Exodist, there isn't a Internet Police, and it would be very hard to find a jurisdiction to be able to enforce the Law. The what Law would they enforce ??
Theere are more important people out there to grab as well, lie the Torrent Sites, and seeing as they are still up and going, I highly doubt, someone will go after these scumbags, for little to no return, just to stop them making MacKeeper, which in all fairness, does something, just not a good thing . . .

S

sllewk

Hi all Mac lovers, in the early days of Apple mac ownership and years of the Dreaded Windows a name like MacKeeper has a big influence on the new Apple Owner. In their ignorance they think it is a good thing to have, I was one of those ignorant new owners who down loaded that awful bit of useless software. OK I was not aware of these forums, no-one told me about these wonderful forums, so I took the bait! It would be a good idea if Apple Mac were to add a small note in all their boxes about Apple Mac Forums as it would save a lot of grief for new owners. Since then I now own an Apple Mac Mini purchased from my local Apple outlet and " MacKeeper" will never darken my Apple Mac's display. The forum is awsome, lots of advice to be had if only you look on the forum. Withat said I thank you all for the help given so freely. Keith in ENGLAND.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It would be a good idea if Apple Mac were to add a small note in all their boxes about Apple Mac Forums as it would save a lot of grief for new owners.
I'm sure the owners of this forum would love that but since this is an independently run forum, I don't see that happening. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm sure the owners of this forum would love that but since this is an independently run forum, I don't see that happening. ;)
Wait . .. You mean we don't have a direct pipeline to Tim Cook and the gang at Cupertino? :eek:We should put someone in charge of that. Not me of course, but somebody.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Wait . .. You mean we don't have a direct pipeline to Tim Cook and the gang at Cupertino? :eek:We should put someone in charge of that. Not me of course, but somebody.
Well, since you brought it up, you've implicitly volunteered yourself. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I am happy to see that people are starting to get their money back from a company that was scamming people out of their money.

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
The MacKeeper folks were sued it two different actions this past year, and they lost both times. Owners of MacKeeper were entitled to a settlement sum:
http://www.classactionrebates.com/settlements/mackeeper/
But the time period to apply for a rebate has passed.

Neither suit required MacKeeper to be pulled from the market. It is still being sold. However, it's reputation has been sullied. So...guess what they have done?

What we've been seeing is a bunch of brand new utilities appearing out of the blue from a bunch of software developers that no one has ever heard of before. Can you guess what all of these utilities are under the skin?

I recommend that you stay away from third party maintenance and "cleaning" utilities in general, but especially stay away from those that no one has heard of before and/or those that come from unknown developers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.