McAfee LiveSafe AV for Mac

Reaction score
would you use mcafe livesafe for your mac?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
would you use mcafe livesafe for your mac?

Hello - I'm assuming that you're talking about the 'subscription' McAfee product pictured below - correct?

You might want to tell us what of those features listed interest you? AV software is usually stated as not needed on an Apple OS X computer in this forum (I run none on my iMac & MBPro); ClamXav is typically recommended if you feel the need for anti-viral protection, but mainly for the purpose of not passing on 'malware' to your Windows friends - there are currently no viruses in the wild that affect the Apple operating system.

Now, this is an oft asked question here and plenty of threads & posts discuss the issues - first, check the 'Security Awareness' sub-forum, and second take a look at THREAD 1 and THREAD 2 for plenty of comments (and links!) on the subject of malware - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-06-01 at 6.11.12 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you are referring to McAfee Livesafe that is an antivirus suite the answer is NO. It is way too heavy and demanding on the system resources.

I would not even use it on my work Windows PCs. I am the IT person at work where we have mostly PC's.
I do run avast! antivirus on just the PCs along with Adblock Plus and Ghostery as browser extensions. I also do monthly scans using Malwarebytes on the PCs.

On the Macs, I use Adblock Plus and Ghostery as browser extensions. I have been known to manual scan about once a month with ClamXav. I have no antivirus app running full time on the macs. Why - because 99.9% of the viruses are written for PCs.

There is nothing out there that can protect people from unsafe computing and that is where most of the problems come from. JMO

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thank you both for your replies. I don't think I will get this product. It was going to be free so that is why I thought, why not!

Free things are not always the best :-/ McAfee is a pure resource hog, and does no benefit to your system. There are some great free suggestions above.
You were smart to drop in and ask the question :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There are no Mac OS X viruses, and all any AV program does is download Windows cirus definitions and runs then and guess what? No virus found.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
She is now going on 9 and champion Pembroke Corgi Alamosa Bit of a Smasher! Like me tommoe retired from all the judging business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Harry,

In my younger days I raised and showed Basenji's I have a huge weakness for the smaller breeds of just about any thing. Pembroke Corgis are really neat dogs.

I had to "retire" from showing when the first hip replacement came along - followed by the second one. Just couldn't keep up running in the ring and also caring for them. When my last old basenji died I called it quits.

Now we have a "beagle" (at least I am sure it's ancestors saw a beagle - more like a miniature bird dog.) Our kids thought we should not be dogless.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had to "retire" from showing when the first hip replacement came along - followed by the second one.

I know that you must have gone through a period of rehab. My wife and I work (on a volunteer basis) with folks at several nursing homes. We know first hand what some of them go through trying to rehab from hip, knee, and shoulder replacements. Not fun at all.
Good for you that you're still active and working at church! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, my husband was my rehab partner and he was great. They taught us what we needed to know and we did it faithfully. Since I am relatively young (60 in a few days) I recovered better than some of my older friends who have had they same procedures.

If you were to meet me you would never know I had two hip replacements. I have no limp, nothing. I credit a great surgeon and the Lord.

(And we are SOOO off topic!)

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.