iMac G5 PowerPC question

Reaction score
Hi Mac Forum,

I've been given an old iMacG5 PowerPC that hasn't been used for ages. I was wondering how i can connect it to the internet. I have a modem/wireless that i use for my macbook pro. I've plugged the modem into the G5 but nothing happens. That's about the extent of my technical skills. Does anyone have any advice? I can provide any additional tech spec data that might be helpful, i'm just not sure in advance what might be helpful.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Some iMac G5's have built-in wireless hardware (Airport card) and some don't. So we would need to know what exact model iMac G5 this is to determine if it has an Airport card in it.

But it could also be connected via an ethernet cable (ethernet port on the iMac G5 to the router).

Please explain how the computer was connected to your modem or router. This may help determine of it's connected correctly.

And you should also verify for us if this computer has an OS installed on it…and if the computer is working properly (100%).

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Pigoo3, thank you for replying to me.

The Mac OS X is 10.3.5
The Processor is 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
Memory 256 MB DDR SDRAM

Computer seems to be running fine, i can play the built-in games. Just can't connect to the internet.

In the System Profile, under 'Hardware' and 'AirPort Card' is says 'no information found'.

It says there is a Built-in Ethernet (interface en0) (Type PPP (PPPoE) )
I think there might also be an Internal Modem (interface modem) (Type PPP (PPPSerial) )

My modem is an O2 Wireless Box IV (made by Thomson). In the UK, O2 have now been taken over by Sky, but the modem still works. My modem says it has wireless and ethernet.

Does this help, or do you need more information?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the info. A lot of that is very useful.:)

First let me mention that hopefully you realize this is a pretty old computer. It's probably worth about $100 here in the US (maybe less)…and it's about 11 years old (pretty darn old for a computer).

With OS 10.3.5 on it…and only 256meg of ram…it's in dire need of some upgrading. But even with upgrades…it's still an OLD computer.

Just wanted to mention this…just in case it makes a difference how you proceed.:)

In the System Profile, under 'Hardware' and 'AirPort Card' is says 'no information found'.

Yes…this most likely means it has no installed Airport card (wireless card) installed. With first generation iMac G5's…the Airport card was optional. This doesn't mean you can't get/install an Airport card. Probably very easy to get one via eBay.:)

It says there is a Built-in Ethernet (interface en0) (Type PPP (PPPoE) )
I think there might also be an Internal Modem (interface modem) (Type PPP (PPPSerial) )

How exactly is the iMac connected to your modem? Are you using an ethernet cable? And if so…are you 100% sure you have the cable plugged into the proper ports? On the iMac this is easy. But with the modem it may not be as easy.

Also. Do you have any other computers successfully connecting to the internet via this modem? If so great. If not…then the modem may not be properly setup to connect to the internet.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That iMac should have "Standard Ethernet" builtin, and possibly Airport wireless, and all specs can be found here:
Apple iMac Specs (All iMac Tech Specs) @ EveryMac.com

You could try using the Network Pref Pane "Assist…" and run the diagnostics, or run the "Connection Doctor" or whatever it's called, if it's installed.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Pigoo3,

yeah, it was a cast-off from work that i took home. i'd just like it for my son to play online games on (i mean very basic games, like on lego.com, nothing like WoW). I can connect the modem to the iMac by a thin cable to a slot on the back with a telephone icon, or a slightly fatter cable to a slot with a <…> icon.

The slightly fatter cable is the one i use to connect my macbook pro (i'm using right now) to the internet, so i know it works fine.

Thanks for the advice on the AirPort card. I'll check out prices on ebay. Do you think i'll need to do anything more than this, based on what i've described?

Cheers,
byrd9

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, it was a cast-off from work that i took home. i'd just like it for my son to play online games on (i mean very basic games, like on lego.com, nothing like WoW).

Yes...they better be VERY basic online games!;)

The slightly fatter cable is the one i use to connect my macbook pro (i'm using right now) to the internet, so i know it works fine.

Great to hear that you have another Apple computer that connects to the internet via this modem. That certainly means that it is setup correctly.:)

One question. It sounded like you said that your MacBook Pro is connected to the modem via a cable. Is this true? And if so...why the heck so? I think that every MacBook Pro came with builtin Airport (wireless hardware). And you did say that your model is wireless capable.

In any case. It sounds like your modem is setup correctly...and assuming the cable from the iMac to the modem is connected properly...then there's only one other thing to check on...and that the iMac's network settings.

Mac OS 10.3 is pretty darn old...so I'm mostly working form memory. But to access the iMac's Network Preferences go to:

- click on the Apple Menu
- Then select "System Preferences".
- Then select "Network"
- Then make sure that in the window that comes up that "Ethernet" is selected. The colored "dot" to the left of etherenet should be colored "green".
- And the proper network is selected from the dropdown list in the right area of this window.

Remember. Like I said. Mac OS 10.3 is really old. So some of what I said might not be 100% accurate. But generally speaking it should be close.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those iMacs had both:
Modem: 1 (RJ-11) (typical telephone 4-pin connector) and the bigger and fatter Ethernet: 1 (RJ-45) 6-pin connector and the Ethernet one with the <…> icon is the one you want to use, at least normally. ;)

But you might want to call and check with your ISP and see if you can actually connect an additional computer to their Internet Modem. Some limit the number of connected devices.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those iMacs had both:
Modem: 1 (RJ-11) (typical telephone 4-pin connector) and the bigger and fatter Ethernet: 1 (RJ-45) 6-pin connector and the Ethernet one with the <…> icon is the one you want to use, at least normally. ;)

Thanks for mentioning that!:) I was a bit confused by the "thicker & thinner" terminology. Hopefully "byrd9" is using the "fatter" ethernet cable...and not trying to use the "thinner" phone line cable (dial-up) between the iMac and modem!;)

Which I'm assuming is a modern wireless router/modem. Not iMac G5 vintage!;)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help. I first tried the fatter ethernet cable, but that didn't work, so i tried the other one… which also didn't work, which isn't surprising if it's the dial-up cable.

My modem has space in the back for 4 ethernet cables, but i only have one physical cable, so i'm switching between macbook and iMac.

In the System Preferences > Network page, it's not quite as you described (but good going, for it being 11 years old). Instead what i see is
Location: a drop down menu, from which I can choose Automatic or Location.
Show: Built-in Ethernet, from a drop down menu.

If i choose Location: Automatic, the TCP/IP says Configure IPv4: Using DHCP with manual address
If i choose Location: Location, the TCP/IP says Configure IPv4: Using PPP.

If i click on the Ethernet tab, it gives me an Ethernet ID and, from a topdown menu, Configure: Automatically, or Manually (Advanced).

As for the Macbook pro, i can use Wireless, but i use the ethernet cable to connect because i (rightly or wrongly?) feel it's safer and other people can't use my internet connection. But i'm no expert, so i'll be happy to take advice on this too!

Cheers,
Byrd9

Reaction score
Honestly i wouldn't bother.

1. all lego games require flash player and the last version for that o.s was flash player 4 i do think.

2. i would honestly leave it offline and order some children friendly software like oregan trail deluxe and even games like harry potter 1 and 2 will run on that machine as well these are great child friendly games with no violence blood guts or gore in them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for the Macbook pro, i can use Wireless, but i use the ethernet cable to connect because i (rightly or wrongly?) feel it's safer and other people can't use my internet connection. But i'm no expert, so i'll be happy to take advice on this too!

You REALLY should be using the wireless capabilities of your MacBook Pro. The "convenience factor" is so much worth it. Most modems/routers have a builtin firewall to guard against intruders.

And as long as no one has the password for your wireless network...they can't "leech" off of it (free WiFi for them)...or get to the "inside" of your network. Of course you should be using a good password that's something like 8 characters or longer...and includes a combo of numbers, letters (upper & lower case)...and sometimes ampersand's.

As far as the network setup for the iMac. I would try to duplicate (as much as possible) the same settings as you have for your MacBook Pro.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help. I first tried the fatter ethernet cable, but that didn't work, so i tried the other one… which also didn't work, which isn't surprising if it's the dial-up cable.

My modem has space in the back for 4 ethernet cables, but i only have one physical cable, so i'm switching between macbook and iMac.

In the System Preferences > Network page, it's not quite as you described (but good going, for it being 11 years old). Instead what i see is
Location: a drop down menu, from which I can choose Automatic or Location.
Show: Built-in Ethernet, from a drop down menu.

If i choose Location: Automatic, the TCP/IP says Configure IPv4: Using DHCP with manual address
If i choose Location: Location, the TCP/IP says Configure IPv4: Using PPP.

If i click on the Ethernet tab, it gives me an Ethernet ID and, from a topdown menu, Configure: Automatically, or Manually (Advanced).

Cheers,
Byrd9

I don't know what E'net ID you're getting, but if it starts with 169.xxx. etc. you won't be going anywhere — it's a dummy address.

You may need to do a restart on the Modem and the connected Mac to get a proper connection, and if you need further help, I'd call your ISP tech support, and they can even do some connection diagnosis over the phone and can check things with their equipment.

PS: I don't agree with the comment to always use wireless, and prefer a usually faster and better connection with a cable connection unless it's not convenient to do so. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
PS: I don't agree with the comment to always use wireless, and prefer a usually faster and better connection with a cable connection unless it's not convenient to do so.

Careful. You're putting words into Nick's reply. He never said that, here's what he said:

You REALLY should be using the wireless capabilities of your MacBook Pro. The "convenience factor" is so much worth it. Most modems/routers have a builtin firewall to guard against intruders.

;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oppps… sorry, getting a bit too close there and I had just glanced it with a quick scanning glimpse. Better not do that again… ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Byrd9, set networking to DHCP and not DHCP with Manual Address. That should let it assign an IP from your router! With the Manual one you have to give it an IP address and DNS mask. Plain DHCP is a lot easier.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@byrd9 I noticed in a previous post you mentioned seeing both PPP and DHCP in the Network settings. That tells me that at some point both options were set up. here's what I would try:

1. On your computer that is working open System Preferences and go to the Network pane.
2. On the left side make sire you click the Ethernet option. if the pane is locked enter your password to unlock it.
3. Make note of the settings (DHCP, PPPoE, etc).
4.Compare those settings to the settings on the "old" Mac and make sure the settings on the old machine matches the working in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.