Sartup sound

Reaction score
I recently bought a new MacBook Pro with retina display. I was trying to mute the initial Startup sound and I downloaded: 1) StartUpSound.prefPane, but it does not install; 2) Psst, but it does not word, and finally, 3) StartNinja, which works muting the chime but mutes it permanently. It does not let me get the sound back, even if I toggle the control to on. I tried to uninstall the application but it does not help either. Is there a solution? Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never used one of those apps as I like to hear the sound and know all is fine, but this might work.

Right after you press power and the screen just lights, Hold down the following KEYS and keep them held down.

Command+Option+P+R. All 4 keys. The Mac will reboot and you should hear the sound. I would hold them down for 2 reboots then let go.

Let us know if that brings the Startup sound back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As suggested give all those apps a miss as the more you use, the more troubles you are likely to get. For one I like the sound when I reboot once a month or so. Reminds one all is well.

OP
R
Reaction score
The problem was sorted out at sound on system preferences. Quite simple but unexpected since I did not mess with it before installing StartNinja. I will be more careful with these miraculous applications. Thank you all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.