Best cloud solution for iTunes Library

Reaction score
Guys
until 2 weeks ago i had my personal itunes library installed on a local WD 6 TB duo NAS. All was fine and access to my 650gb library was uneventful. Then i suffered a failure of the drive which has rendered it useless.

Fortunately i have a recently backed up copy but i am now searching for the best possible solution.

I have 1TB of storage available on Microsoft one drive cloud storage as one option. However the write ups for connectivity are not brilliant.

Given the size of my library which includes some home movies - therefore not everything is downloaded from iTunes i am looking for the best solution. Cost will be an issue and if i can use either my 1tb with MS or the 200GB better on iCloud then i am open to suggestions.

I am nervous about having local storage again unless i could sync with my cloud storage in a more efficient way?

I don't want to have to constantly log in each and every time i use my apple TV for videos for example so simple is best.

look forward to some advice.

thanks Daz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac quad i7 | Yosemite
Hi Daz,

Sorry, my answer was not on point, and I didn't see a way to delete post.

Last edited:

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
For your music, iTunes in the Cloud is the best option. You can have almost unlimited music for the flat rate, irrespective of whether you bought it from iTunes or not. Certainly there is no clearly advertised upper limit on the iTunes in the Cloud web page on the Apple site.

Video is trickier. I would go for which ever cloud based service gives you the best price point. In terms of login, if you used Dropbox (which I do, others may have similar capabilities) you can use an app on your Mac (or WinPC) to sync a portion of your local hard drive to their cloud storage. You only need to log in once and everything is handled seamlessly from then on.

I would also recommend a RAID drive for your local storage. I have a 3 TB x2 RAID 1 drive, giving me 3 TB of local storage mirrored across two physical disks. If one fails, the data can be recovered from the other.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.