• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie resolution

Reaction score
I am creating a DVD with a combination of still photos (slide show) and videos. I am at the point of having created a disc image prior to burning the DVD but have noticed the following problem.

In viewing the disc image in the DVD player I note that the resolution of the still photos is rather poor. The originals in iPhoto are crystal clear and when viewed in the iMovie project they are also quite good. It is only after creating the disc image that the resolution is deteriorated. Two questions

1) Is there a setting I have incorrectly programmed?

2) If I burn the DVD will the photos still have poor resolution when viewed on a TV?

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
It's not iMovie's resolution that's the problem, but the resolution of the finished dvd. Standard dvd resolution is only 720x576(480), so it's always going to look worse than the original.
DVD-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So:
1) No
2) Yes

OP
P
Reaction score
It's not iMovie's resolution that's the problem, but the resolution of the finished dvd. Standard dvd resolution is only 720x576(480), so it's always going to look worse than the original.
DVD-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So:
1) No
2) Yes
What you say makes sense but I am a bit confused. I have not yet burned the DVD. The "loss of resolution" occurred when I "burned" and viewed the disk image. Do disk images on the Mac suffer the same limitations on resolution?

By the way I have been using Verbatim Digital Movie DVD-R disks for projects to date as I have read they are quite reliable. What do you think of them?

Thank you for your reply

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Do disk images on the Mac suffer the same limitations on resolution?
Yes, because that, in a sense, is your dvd. It's that image that you transfer to the dvd.

There are two ways to get around it. Export/Share from iMovie as an HD movie file, and send people that, or use something like Roxio's Toast, along with an external BluRay burner and BluRay dvds.
Roxio Toast 12 Titanium - DVD Burning - Video Conversion - Music and Video Capture for Mac

I have been using Verbatim Digital Movie DVD-R disks for projects to date as I have read they are quite reliable. What do you think of them?
Been using them for years. Never had a problem with them.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, because that, in a sense, is your dvd. It's that image that you transfer to the dvd.

There are two ways to get around it. Export/Share from iMovie as an HD movie file, and send people that, or use something like Roxio's Toast, along with an external BluRay burner and BluRay dvds.
Roxio Toast 12 Titanium - DVD Burning - Video Conversion - Music and Video Capture for Mac

Thanx MightyGem

One final (and probably stupid) question - it is suggested that one create a disk image for review prior to burning so it can be reviewed to prevent burning a bad project and thereby wasting a DVD. Is there a way to burn directly from iMovie (skip the disk image) and if so would it still have the resolution problem?

Thanks again

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I usually go the disk image route to review it, as you mention, and to keep incase I need to make another dvd.

Is there a way to burn directly from iMovie (skip the disk image) and if so would it still have the resolution problem?
The disk image/dvd is created from iDVD not iMovie, so, from iDVD, you have the option of burning direct to dvd, or saving as a disk image. Whichever way you choose, there is no getting around the loss of quality when producing a standard definition dvd.

OP
P
Reaction score
I usually go the disk image route to review it, as you mention, and to keep incase I need to make another dvd.

The disk image/dvd is created from iDVD not iMovie, so, from iDVD, you have the option of burning direct to dvd, or saving as a disk image. Whichever way you choose, there is no getting around the loss of quality when producing a standard definition dvd.

Just to close the loop MightyGem I went ahead and burned a DVD from the disc image and maybe it is wishful thinking but the product looks much sharper on the TV than it did as a disc image on the Mac. Thank you for all your help

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the product looks much sharper on the TV than it did as a disc image on the Mac.
Could be the TV doing a good job of "upscaling" the image.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, the last few years, a lot of TVs have very good upscalers turning DVD content into pretty good looking video to many.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.