Cannot locate malware

Reaction score
At some point my browser started to randomly forward me to a wrong site when clicking link or open pop-up ads. I figured I've gotten adware from somewhere accidentally. First I checked there wasn't any unwanted extensions in browsers and removed if there was weird ones. I use mainly Chrome but the problem exists also when using Firefox.

Problem maintained. I installed BitDefender Virus Scanner and ClamXav and ran both of them with updated malware databases. They didn't find anything. Next I installed Private Eye application so that I could maybe get a hint of what's happening just when the malfunctional behaviorism occurred. I don't, everything seems normal to me.

Clearly there's something unwanted on my computer. What would you suggest I do next? I have a Macbook Pro Retina 13"/2.4 GHz/8 GB/250 GB running OS X 10.9.5.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Download AdwareMedic and give that a try. If it were me I'd probably delete BitDefender but others may disagree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well I don't Sly. BitDefender is a resource hog and if you MUST run AV software coming from a Windows background, stick with ClamXAV.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Harry. BitDefender works great in Windows but this ain't Windows! ;P

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you. AdwareMedia found Spigot and I removed it (although I thought I had removed it already by removing Safari's extensions).

I also removed BitDefender and I guess I'm also removing ClamXav for now since I don't think there's need for an antivirus software in my use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac10,1 High Sierra 10.13.6, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 12GB RAM, 500GB Storage
I was impressed with adwareMedic. Found a number of malware. Got most when I downloaded the latest version of adobe. I always trusted adobe but now???

Reaction score
At some point my browser started to randomly forward me to a wrong site when clicking link or open pop-up ads.

So quit clicking pop-up ads. Good way to get malware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Now it is clean Ralph download and run AdBlockPlus and Ghostery to control these monsters, and keep away from CNET and softonic downloads.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was impressed with adwareMedic. Found a number of malware. Got most when I downloaded the latest version of adobe. I always trusted adobe but now???

Make sure that when you download updates you manually go to the Adobe site. Don't go there by following links from another site.

OP
P
Reaction score
Interestingly enough the problem recurred after awhile and now neither Adaware or ClamXav are able to find anything. Browser randomly sends me to a strange site or opens a pop-up in everyday use. And I might have been unclear before - my normal web use is very safe, no clicking pop-up ads or such. Any further ideas what I should do?

Also I'm wondering at what point I should start to worry from the data protection point. In addition that I'm using electronic bank services etc. with the computer, it also contains quite a lot of private work-related files (sound, text, spreadsheet). Am I already there?

Reaction score
Check your browser extensions. Anything new there?
Check your hosts file in /etc/hosts. Shouldn't be much there.
Check your DNS settings, in System Prefences/Networking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
In addition to what cradom suggests try clearing your browser data wouldn't hurt either.

In Chrome -> settings -> history -> clear browser data.

I don't use firefox so I can't suggest how to, but clear the browser history in it too.

Lisa

OP
P
Reaction score
Problem persists, hugely annoying.

I have removed and reinstalled all browsers except Safari which I have cleared from additional extensions. Nothing strange in hosts file or DNS settings.

_Any_ ideas?

Reaction score
Copy and paste your hosts file here.
Anyone else have access to your computer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.