OSX w/Apache

S

sdilley14

Ok, so I'm an idiot and I didn't know that 10.4 came with Apache built in. Pretty friggin handy, I must say. I'm in the process of building a website and I was worried about how it would display on different resolutions, different browsers, different platforms, etc. since I'm on my 12" PB. So I finally came across the OSX built in web sharing. Its's basicly like having your own built in webserver. Granted, I don't think it's really possible for anyone outside of our local network to access it, but it's still very useful for testing/local purposes. I don't know why but this made me giddy. Prolly just the fact that I don't have to tote my laptop around and plug it into different monitors anymore...or the fact that I've been working on this site for 10 hours straight and am VERY sleep deprived at the moment.

Just another reason why I'm never going back to Windows.

Reaction score
I run a webserver on my mac with apache. all you have to do is see first if you can get a static ip address (tolk to your internet host if you have high speed) 2. see if your internet host has blocked port 80 (the port for http)

Hope this helped!!

OP
S

sdilley14

Sweet, I figured there was some way to make the site public. Thanks for the heads up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Actually you don't require a static IP. It just helps if you want others to visit your internal web server. Otherwise when the address changes, you need to tell people the new address.

The way to get around the non-static address problem is to use one of the dynamic addressing providers, no-ip.com, dyndns.com, and easydns.com. I happen to know that no-ip.com will allow you to have a subdomain with their name. So you could do; EDIT-XTREEM.no-ip.com, thereby NOT requiring you to buy a domain name.

I've been using easydns for a few years with a domain name. I have my internal server set up to update the address once in a while and upon rare reboots. I've noticed that the cable company rarely changes the address, but it does happen.

Also your not required to use port 80, but it makes life a little easier in that a newbie doesn't have to fiddle with the config file and tell people to add a port number to the URL.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.