Couldn't find an OS X update that's, apparently, available???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 - 1.2 GB RAM - 28GB HD
The preliminaries for the issue at hand goes like this:

I- Was looking for a way to dual boot this iBook G4 (OS X 10.5.2) with Lubuntu.
II- After reading a lot (and getting confused about a few things on my own, a newbie thing) learned that one of the possible ways to go needed for me to re-partition the HDD.
III- When I tried the DiskUtility for re-partitioning the disk it started the process but after maybe more than 80 mins it never ended. Nothing was lost nor broken, at least!
IV- I started to look for a tool for doing this and looked at gParted but today learnt that it's not for my architecture (PPC). Also, apparently, there's PartitionMagicMac (or something like that) that might do the trick. Haven't looked at it,yet.
V- Something stated a few times on some webpages was the desirability of updating the Firmware before doing anything else. Looked for the possible updates but my search was not conclusive...; there might be one or more updates for the Firmaware but have NOT downloaded anything, yet.

At another forum I asked something:

Trying to find if gParted live for iBook G4, Mac OS X 10.5.2, exists?

and I got the following:
10.5.8 Combo Update =

What drives me crazy about this is that there it says that Safari will be updated to a version that's much under the one I already have. Really don't grasp the knowledge of some of the things I've read. Could someone around here spread some useful light over these issues?

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for replying, cradom!

I'm a little bit lost here. At the site you included in your post there's talk about OS X 10.5, you say it's not cheap but at the 2nd link I provided they talk about an update, not an upgrade. AFAIU, updates are free, upgrades are paid for for Apple products.

Anyway, what I read in relation to gParted stated that it's intended for x86 machines (Intel based) and there's no mention of PPCs.

In relation to PartitionMagicMac, apparently, there's a paid version with all the bells and a free download; what never was clear for me is if the free version can re-partition the disk lossless or not and if it can do so while running from the OS that has tarted from the HDD itself???

Would you or someone else state things around these issues more clearly?

Reaction score
You do realize this version is several years old and is no longer available from Apple?
That's why I suggested ebay. And going from 10.5.2 to 10.5.8 is an update however it wont be free because see above.
If you can find an old enough version on Linux for PPC macs the gparted in that distro will work with what you have.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks cradom for your kind support!

I thinnk now understand it more clearer. Grab a linux OS that can be used to run gParted on this iBook and then install Lubuntu for dual bootin. I'll be plungng myself into this shortly.

I'll come back if I have trouble and if I finally do it, too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.