Not surprising...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Maybe it's this very integration into the "system/browser" that makes MacKeeper such a problem/headache in the first place (not even including this new vulnerably being reported).:(

- Nick

OP
cradom
Reaction score
I think it insinuates itself into everything. Wouldn't be surprised if it kept a list of sites visited somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
And did you catch the tiny url reference as the way to get someone to click? I have always been leery of tiny url's it is difficult to tell what it really contains.

Lisa

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have always been leery of tiny url's it is difficult to tell what it really contains.
Sites such as this one can be your friend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh well Bryan where in the world is Ms. Moreno when we need her?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And did you catch the tiny url reference as the way to get someone to click? I have always been leery of tiny url's it is difficult to tell what it really contains.

Lisa

Why wouldn't someone use the Status Bar in this situation ?? I Also have Ultimate Status Bar as a Safari Extension, so the writing isn't as small, but it also opens up other features, like lengthening shortened URL's. I like that it shows me what I'm going to download and the size of it, before I do, just as a added precaution . . . I have never ever needed to lengthen a tiny.url to see what it is . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Why wouldn't someone use the Status Bar in this situation ?? I Also have Ultimate Status Bar as a Safari Extension, so the writing isn't as small, but it also opens up other features, like lengthening shortened URL's. I like that it shows me what I'm going to download and the size of it, before I do, just as a added precaution . . . I have never ever needed to lengthen a tiny.url to see what it is . . .

I was reflecting on what THE SAFE MAC article said -
"This PoC will execute the following command: rm -rf /Applications/MacKeeper.app;pkill -9 -a MacKeeper - .... this URL was hidden behind a shortened tinyurl.com URL. Such link shortening can easily be used to disguise a maliciously-crafted link, and has proven to be an effective method for tricking people into clicking on links that they otherwise would not."

I guess I just have never been fond of them and the article simple points out my original concerns.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.