• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How many purchased eBooks do you have?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I asked myself this question since I:

a) Believe in supporting authors and publishers so they continue to produce books I want to read
b) I have a lot of free-download books (Project Gutenberg etc)

So, I decided to do a quick count. If I ignore the Marvel Comic Reprints on DVD I have at least 167 books that I paid for, most through Amazon, but about 1/3 from iBooks.

My free books outnumber my paid books about five to one.
How about you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Interesting question.

All up, I have 137. Out of 137, 19 are free (the 19 free are mailing Manuals, PDF's but a couple of actual reading books ;) )
Out of the 118 left, 7 of them are from the Take Control series by Joe Kissell
Out of the 111 left, 10 of them are HTML5, CSS3, Swift and AppleScripting Reference books.

Then 101 are all novels, with a lot of Raymond E Fiest's Magician Series 20 odd books. and then a lot of other Authors, some with 2-3 books in a series. All paid for.I like to pay for books, and actually might have to check out the Free one's, but I look every week, and get 99¢ specials, or the $4.99 . . . I love my books, and was a great reason to upgrade to my iPad Air 2 . . . Have never bought off amazon, and not even sure how the Kindle App works.

Then I have about 80+ Marvel/DC comics in CHUNKY !!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about you?

Not counting my Kindle library, I have 513 ebooks. I'm guessing out of the 513 about 20 were free. In all fairness, these ebooks are of a proprietary format and consist of several sets that I purchased from Logos. I also have another collection of some of the same titles that are for Windows. I'm not sure how many ebooks it contains though.

My Kindle library currently has 16 ebooks of which 8 were free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
128 for me, all through Amazon. My Amazon password has failed so that may be a blessing in disgiuse. Favourite authors Michael Connolly and Patricia Cornwell.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
ebooks are sitting at about 220 - I think, don't really see anywhere the Kindle app gives you a count.

Harry, that may be what I need to have happen to my Audible account password.
Based on my library/items per page view in Audible, I have about 520 audio books - think that has to be wrong. I have 233 audiobooks in iTunes (about 3,650 hrs worth).

C

chas_m

I sadly lack the time to do a lot of traditional book reading, but I probably have something just under 50 purchased titles in my iBook library.

As an author myself, I've lost a lot of respect for Amazon and the Kindle ecosystem of late, so I've stopped buying from there, as they treat authors very poorly (to say nothing of publishers) and act like a bully. One of the most recent books I've bought online was the recent Steve Jobs biography (the Becoming one) and even if I was still actively buying Kindle titles, it would just be morally wrong to buy a Jobs bio from Amazon. :)

Reaction score
None infact i use the gutenburg project for most of my books

https://www.gutenberg.org

then i use calibre to convert the books over to kindle no need for the 9.99 to convert a pdf that amazon wants to charge you for

Reaction score
and before you judge me remember i purchase real books not digital so if you asked my how many real books i have i have a total of 500 plus books a lot of stephen king and even a lot of apple books including the famous cult of mac book one of my favorites at 40.00 i can say i have read it 500 times

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I haven't bought any, save a few for my wife on birthdays, etc... Myself, someone gave me a bundle of about 27,500 eBooks at one point. I am probably set for a while.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.