Migration Assistant failure

Reaction score
Hi all. New to Mac. Just bought Macbookair and also iMac desktop. Currently have PC. Trying to transfer data by Migration Assistant. Loaded this on PC and opened - followed instructions but in MacBook, opened Migration Assistant and put in password and then 'continue' but the process progresses no further. Using WiFi link.
jimenyboy

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to the Forums.

I am supposing that you wish to migrate data from your Windows PC to your two new Macs or even just one of them. This requires the Windows Migration Assistant (as opposed to the Mac version which is for Mac-to-Mac transfer).

This article from Apple deals with both situations and covers the various ways of doing so along with problems you may encounter. Give it a try in case there is some aspect you are missing out on. Link: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204350
It is bang up to date (April 2015).

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Ian. I am trying to transfer data from my current PC to the Macbookair to start. I have followed the instructions at the website you show using downloaded Migration Assistant for PCs and Macs own on the new laptop (from Utilities etc.)
I have disabled all virus software on old computer. Old PC says 'Waiting for Mac to respond' but laptop will not progress from initial stage ie I start opening Mig Assistant, put in password, press 'continue' and nothing happens. (If I then close the Assistant in new laptop, I get a momentary flash with whirling thingy bob saying 'closing apps but no further action).

I am almost resigned to copying all my files including thousands of photos and E mail addresses manually! Oh dear.

jimenyboy:(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.