Downgrading question

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if I will I lose all my programs if I downgrade from Yosemite and back to Snow Leopard?
It has made my mac slow and my music software (cubase and vst's) keep crashing so I cannot reopen the project files.. I'm hoping this will cease if I downgrade my machine, but since I don't have the installation cd anymore I can't do it unless my programs will be automatically restored. Thanks in advance!;)

C

chas_m

I'm not sure its even possible short of a wipe and reinstall, and of course you'll need the Snow Leopard DVD from Apple ($20). You didn't give any details on your machine, but perhaps what you really need to do is to increase the RAM (I'd suggest 8GB if your machine can take that much, or more if can take more) and the hard drive free space. It's been my experience that Yosemite runs surprisingly well on older machines, but does like to have as much RAM as possible, and a lot of free space.

Some details on your machine would help us help you.

Cheers
Chas

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, I was wondering if I will I lose all my programs if I downgrade from Yosemite and back to Snow Leopard?
It has made my mac slow and my music software (cubase and vst's) keep crashing so I cannot reopen the project files.

I don't know how long you've been running Yosemite…and without your computer specs I don't know if it's even possible for your computer to run Snow Leopard.

But one thing I can almost guarantee…many of the programs that you have that are compatible with Yosemite won't be backward compatible with Snow Leopard.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.