Can't Empty Trash

Reaction score
I can't empty the trash. I have tried several times, but it is full of recovered files and and every time it sarts to empty there are over 7000 items and it never finishes emptying, even over hrs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm…??? How did over 7000 recovered files end up in the Trash in the first place??

Make sure your'e not using the "secure" empty Trash, and maybe try holding the option key and then empty your Trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you are sure you want these deleted, then open Terminal in your Applications Folder, and copy and paste this into the Terminal Window
Code:
 sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
Now hit return.
You will be asked for your password, so type it in (it won't show what your typing, because this is a security feature of Terminal, so make sure you type it correctly) and when you have hit Return again.
Some times Trash will hang and won't empty so this is a neat way of accomplishing emptying it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If you are sure you want these deleted, then open Terminal in your Applications Folder, and copy and paste this into the Terminal Window
Code:
 sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
Now hit return.
You will be asked for your password, so type it in (it won't show what your typing, because this is a security feature of Terminal, so make sure you type it correctly) and when you have hit Return again.
Some times Trash will hang and won't empty so this is a neat way of accomplishing emptying it.

7000 items might fail. if it does, you'd have to use find and run the output through exec.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm still curious as to why you would have 7000+ recovered files in the Trash in the first place. It is my understanding that these are temporary files created by apps and are usually deleted when the app is closed (Quit). For example if I Force Mail to Quit because it is unresponsive then there will be a few recovered files in my trash because mail did not have a chance to delete them as it did not quit in the usual way.
So is this large number due to some other problem? If so this problem needs to be addressed or the same issue will occur again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 MacBook Pro (Retina 15-inch) 2.2 GHz, intel core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
I too, cannot empty the trash... I have a new macbook pro and it simply WILL NOT empty anything I put in the trash. Please help me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Did you try the Terminal command above? It should. basically, force everything out of your trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or have you even tried Restarting or Shutting down your Mac and re-booting and then trying to empty the Trash?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Perhapes, although it's hard to relate repairing permissions and verifying the hard drive may be worth a try. After a backup of course but it seems something else is happening for so many recovered files to be there in the first place. Emptying trash is a pretty basic function but it is reliant on proper indexing for the trash bin to locate the files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think we have two users here with a similar problem but under different circumstances, so it's probably going to be hard to get both resolved easily.

Maybe Lady Mac might like to create a new subject thread with some details for their problem??? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 MacBook Pro (Retina 15-inch) 2.2 GHz, intel core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok, I'm still trying to learn how to use this new Macbook pro as I've just made the switch. So please be patient with me... I can't find terminal. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, found it, did as suggested and it could not find or accept my password! Typed Ctrl-C to abort and it said control not found... so now what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and yes, it DID show what I typed so naturally I cannot copy and paste what is written for all to see my password. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, blonde moment... I didn't even look at the trashcan! Yes, it is now empty! All said though, I'm none the wiser as to WHY it was refusing to empty. Can anyone explain to me for future reference? And hey guys, thank you ever so much... I switched to challenge my brain, so no doubt I'll return again! PLUR x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that's one bit of good news, now I wonder how the OP made out as I haven't seen another post from them other than their original one…???

And still a lot of unanswered questions on that one. :Blushing:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can anyone explain to me for future reference?
It's hard to know without an error message but more than likely, it's because something was still referring to a file in the Trash so it couldn't be deleted (for example, you had a document open in Word that was in the Trash). Often times, the easiest solution is to simply log out and back in to effectively close everything that might be blocking the emptying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just went through the drama of fake virus, download highly popular/reputable 'MacKeeper', nearly paying for more software when they couldn't access remotely, told that Apple warrants DO NOT cover operating system problems even though I paid for an extra 3 years of Apple care... Is this tale really true? Anyhow, I (belatedly) researched further and subsequently deleted MacKeeper and it's kling-ons but am left wondering now, what IS the best way to protect and clean and maintain my new MacBook Pro?

M

MacInWin

Onyx is the only cleaning/maintenance tool you need for Mac, and it's free.

Titanium Software - Home

Run it once every 6 months to a year on the default settings and you'll be fine. Make sure you get the version for your version of OS X.

To stop popup ads, Ghostery and AdBlock+ have been successful. There is also a third product whose name escapes me that blocks ads and trackers like Ghostery. To remove malware that may get by Malwarebytes is the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.11.6, also ipad
Thanks for the tip! I had the same problem (trash not emptying) and yes, I was using the Secure Empty Trash...don't know why......now I just klicked Empty trash and it all went away. Thanks!

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, great that Lady Mac's problem resolved, you sure don't get much feedback from Terminal, kinda the strong silent type of Apple applications. I did once have a client who had never emptied his Trash. Had less than 10% storage and I was scratching my head trying to find where it had all gone. He had 170Gb of data in Trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.