remote access

P

petern18

I want to be able to connect to my computer at home if I'm at school (on a PC). I know I can use ssh and ftp but I'm not how because my computer is on a network (so there is the ip address of my network and then the ip of my computer). Does anybody know how I can do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
ok its pretty easy to do.
Leave yourself connect to the net 24/7 (if possible) and get an address from no-ip.com that way you dont have to write your ip address down everytime you connect then all you need to do is tick the ftp box in sharing tab then ftp into your machine via any ftp program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
any way to do this via finder? im trying to conenct to myself and it wont let me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
To do it securely you'd need a router that answers VPN requests. Which would allow you to in turn VPN to your home. Otherwise FTP over SSH is the other option. I'm not sure if you can do AFP over SSH but I'd be curious to see if that would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
eh im at the point, where all i want to do is setup an FTP server on my mac, so i can simply access my files remotely, and save to my hard drive remotely. I know its not asking alot, if WINDOWS can do it, im sure osx can.

I havent set it up myself on xp, but ive used it as client.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.