iTunes did not import all tracks of an album from thumb drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" (Retina 5K): 4GHz i7: 32GB DDR3: Radeon R9 M295X: 3TB Fusion Drive: El Capitan 10.11.6
Hello All,
I'm in the process of transferring my music from my PC to my new Mac.
I'm doing it manually using thumb drives, as I wanted to get rid of all the media detritus that has built up on my 6 year old PC.

All was going splendidly until ...

I tried to import an album of 29 tracks; I dragged the album folder from the thumb drive window to the iTunes window (as I had sucessfully done many times before), but this time 6 of the tracks didn't import into iTunes ... What have I done wrong?

iTunes version - 12.1.2.27
File format - mp3

Is there any way to import the missing tracks into the album; I have tried dragging the tracks into iTunes, but that just imports the track as a separate song ...

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated ...

A supplemental question (Since I'm on here ...)

I have a few albums that are multiple CDs, but they appear as separate albums in iTunes; is there any way to combine them into a single "collection"?

Once again, any and all help would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanking you kindly in advance.

Stutz

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I suspect that the solution to both problems is in the tagging of the songs (assuming that the missing tracks import properly. The fixes are a little different for each situation.

Tracks Missing from Album

If most of the album as imported correctly try the following:
1. Select the album that the missing tracks should be added to.
2. Press Command I and bring up the info dialog. Note exactly how the information is entered in both the Details pane and the Sorting pane.
3. Now import the missing tracks and select them.
4. Press Command I and enter the information that you noted earlier making sure the album title is exactly the same. Make sure the info in th Sorting field is the same as well.

Albums With Multiple CDs

1. Select the first album and press Command I to bring up the info window. In the Disc number field enter the appropriate number 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3 etc.
2 Make note of the Album title (especially as it appears in the Sorting field). You can copy the info from the appropriate field.
3. Select the tracks for the next disk and press Command I for the info dialog and enter the album name that you used for the first disc. Paste it in if possible for accuracy
4. Set the disc number appropriately 2 of 3, 3 of 3 etc.
5. Make sure the info in the sorting pane is the same as it was for other discs in the set.

Give this video a quick look. Probably explains it better than did.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Give this video a quick look. Probably explains it better than did.

I doubt it. You da man! Looks like you're our iTunes GURU from now on. :p Seriously, that was great - I learned something. iTunes boggles my old brain.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" (Retina 5K): 4GHz i7: 32GB DDR3: Radeon R9 M295X: 3TB Fusion Drive: El Capitan 10.11.6
Thank you Slydude, as you surmised, the problem lay in the tags.

However, another problem has arose ...

One track of an album will not import from the thumb drive; I've tried dragging and copy/paste ...

Any thoughts?

Aw ra best
Stutz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Have you thought about importing the track through the finder menu and not iTunes.

Open up your thumb drive in Finder.

Then from the finder menu go to file and open new finder window. in this new window, navigate to the artist / album in iTunes by:

going to your home folder
selecting music
iTunes
iTunes media
Music
select the artist
select the album you want

so you should now have 2 windows - one for your thumb drive and another with the target album

try to drag and drop or copy and paste the track you want into the album

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nickyr,

That worked sort of ... The track now shows up in the album folder in the iTunes folder when in Finder, but, it does not appear in iTunes itself when viewing or playing the album ... Must be a simple step that I've missed.

Any suggestions ...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure this will work but it's worth a shot:
1. Launch iTunes as usual.
2. Choose "Add to Library" from the File menu (Command+O)
3. Navigate to the missing track and add it.

If the file still does not behave properly try the following:
1. Launch iTunes and find the album with tracks that are causing problems.
2. Select the tracks in the library and hit the delete button. Do not delete the files simply let iTunes delete the pointers from the library.
3. Choose "Add to Library" from the File menu (Command+O)
4. Navigate to the missing tracks and add them .

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you tried playing the track by double clicking on it in the Finder?

If it won't play, iTunes is likely not going to import it - meaning the file is probably corrupt.
If it does play, iTunes should auto import it at that point - assuming iTunes is still set as your default player for that file type.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried playing the track by double clicking on it in the Finder?

If it won't play, iTunes is likely not going to import it - meaning the file is probably corrupt.
If it does play, iTunes should auto import it at that point - assuming iTunes is still set as your default player for that file type.

I didn't think of that possibility Tom. Good catch.

@stutz788 If the track plays in the Finder or QuickTime Player but doesn't import into iTunes try importing it more than one time. One of the previous versions, not sure if it was 10 or 11, would sometimes take several attempts to import some songs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.