Imac for light home video edit

Reaction score
Will 2013 imac i5 quad core 2.7ghz with 8 GB RAM, 1tb, and iris pro be enough to import, edit (in iMovie), archive, and burn to DVD? Source material is VHSc and miniDV. I have analog to USB and FireWire on the MiniDV camera. I have about 50 hours to edit down to about 5-6 hours.

Do I need the 2.9 ghz imac with the nvidia graphics card 750m? Any other suggestions?

I have four school aged kids so I'd rather put money into second computer (i.e. 13" MBA) than put >$400 (to $1000) into upgrades on one maxed out computer. Otherwise very light user, no gaming or pro uses. Other than home video editing, my only other concern is future proofing. I hate that RAM & hdd/SSD is not user expandable.

I will buy apple care and have an apple store nearby. I plan to buy refurbished. I'm in Canada.
Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Will 2013 imac i5 quad core 2.7ghz with 8 GB RAM, 1tb, and iris pro be enough to import, edit (in iMovie), archive, and burn to DVD?
Well, as I'm doing it successfully with a 2009 MacBook, 2GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM using iMovie and iDVD, I reckon it's a yes. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks!

I had been told at the apple store ( sales, not genius) that I needed to upgrade to the nvidia 750 when I described my home video project. I was surprised because I thought this was easily doable on a mac like ten years ago.

Happy to get some feedback...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I had been told at the apple store ( sales, not genius) that I needed to upgrade to the nvidia 750 when I described my home video project. I was surprised because I thought this was easily doable on a mac like ten years ago.

Happy to get some feedback...

When you say "upgrade to the nvidia 750"…are you talking at the time of purchase…or upgrade to it later on your on?

Because even 10 years ago (with iMac's)…upgrading the video hardware was really never a DIY sort of thing.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I thought this was easily doable on a mac like ten years ago.
Well, I've been doing it for 8. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
When you say "upgrade to the nvidia 750"…are you talking at the time of purchase…or upgrade to it later on your on?

Because even 10 years ago (with iMac's)…upgrading the video hardware was really never a DIY sort of thing.

- Nick

Sorry. Unclear. He suggested I purchase the 21.5 imac with Nvidia 750 rather that the 21.5 imac with the Iris Pro since I was going to be editing home video (VHS-c & MiniDV quality).

I was commenting that I was surprised because I thought macs had been really effective at editing home video for quite some time (and therefore shouldn't be a challenge for a current imac). I had to come on here just to get some reassuarance/feedback. (Which I got.) Thanks everybody.

C

chas_m

Yeah, that clerk didn't know his stuff, or was just upselling you. The Nvidia is of course better, but for the kind of work you're doing is overkill.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.