yipes! Yosemite firewall ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac laptop OS X, ver 10.5.7
I just got Yosemite and have discovered the firewall is off. I don't know how to determine what applications to allow and which to block. I'm afraid I'll block something I shouldn't! (it's a refurbished Macbook Pro)
TIA for suggestion/instructions
Jann in AZ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I just got Yosemite and have discovered the firewall is off. I don't know how to determine what applications to allow and which to block. I'm afraid I'll block something I shouldn't! (it's a refurbished Macbook Pro)
TIA for suggestion/instructions

Hi Jann - this is an oft asked question, so some searching will likely bring up plenty of discussion on this topic. You are likely 'behind' a router w/ its own firewall activated, so the question is whether you also need to 'turn on' the function in OS X - I and many in the posts you may find in a search, usually have their OS firewall activated (I simply have it on w/ no adjustments of settings and have not had an issue; of course, others may need to make adjustments).

SO, really up to you, especially if you already use a Wi-Fi router - conflicts might occur between the two activated firewalls but I've not had an issue yet after 2 years on either my iMac or MBPro. NOW, if you are in a public non-password Wi-Fi hotspot, then certainly make sure that the OS X firewall is ON! Dave :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you do turn it on, you'll be prompted (I think) when something gets blocked. My advice would be to turn it on if you need that extra layer of protection and to turn it off if it causes too many headaches.

All that said, it might be redundant if your router has a firewall. Do you know how to configure your router? Do you have a notebook (MacBook Air/Pro) or a desktop?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac laptop OS X, ver 10.5.7
As usual, I panicked before I finished reading my manuals.

I do have the router/firewall protection. Just out of curiosity, I checked my two other Macs and their firewalls are turned off also. I never even knew there was an option. Anyway, those two have been protected at least 3 years by the router without their individual firewalls turned on.

So I'll leave things alone for now, but will await with interest any further comment.

Thanks to all
Jann

M

MacInWin

jannAZ, there are two schools of thought

1. If you have a hardware firewall in the router, you don't need or want the OS X firewall on.
2. Just keep it on all the time.

Advocates for #1 say that there can be interactions between the two firewalls that could be hard to diagnose, and that having multiple firewalls doesn't provide any more protection.

Advocates for #2 say that the potential for interaction between the two is very slight, and easily diagnosed by simply turning off the software firewall if you suspect anything. They also argue that human nature is to forget to turn on the software firewall when you DO need it, like when you take your MBP to a public network, so just leave it on and you won't forget.

Like a lot of things, this gets to be a "religious war" pretty quickly. Do what you think best for you. If you take your MBP out a lot, leaving it on may be quicker and easier and safer. But if your MBP sits on your desk or only in your network most of the time, you can leave it off safely, too.

Personally, (and it is personal) I have mine on. I just don't remember to turn it on when I do take my MBP anywhere, so it's just easier to not have to worry about it.

As with everything, YMMV. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" (Retina 5K): 4GHz i7: 32GB DDR3: Radeon R9 M295X: 3TB Fusion Drive: El Capitan 10.11.6
If you want to check your firewall status;
I use "ShieldsUP!" from the Gibson Research Corporation, it can check various things on your firewall.

I've used the site for many years and have had no problems with the site.

Aw ra best
Stutz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Off is the default. If you are using a WiFi hotspot at an outdoor venue by all means turn it on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.