Gray Screen on Macbook Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IPhone 6 - Airport Extreme - Mac Book Pro
After updating several items on this Macbook Air, it went to a gray screen. It will turn off but when you power up you hear the start up chime and get a gray screen. How can this be resolved?

Gray screen may not be the right term ... the screen will light up just barely. Sorta reminds me of what happens with a very low battery. The charger is plugged in and I have a green light on so I assume its working properly.

13-inch: 2.7GHz
with Retina display
Specifications

2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Built-in battery (10 hours)2
Force Touch trackpad

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

Try resetting the SMC to see if it comes back. Otherwise, take it to an Apple store.

OP
lizardskeep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what I was afraid of. I've tried several of the reset things but I get no response from the machine at all.

Thanks

OP
lizardskeep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what it's worth .........

After a 2 1/2 hour drive to the nearest Apple store, the problem was fixed in under two minutes ... go figure.

The Tech. said that the problem was the video display. Seems that a common problem after an update to the video drivers is that the computer can't find the screen size it wants on restart and keeps the screen dark.

All he did was press four keys at the same time, which brought up an option box, and reset the screen size.

Unfortunately, my memory was in CRS mode and I don't remember the four keys he pressed to get to the video display options. It was two keys on the right side and two keys on the left pressed at the same time.

Hope this helps some.

Oh, if someone knows what these four keys are please post them.
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For what it's worth .........

After a 2 1/2 hour drive to the nearest Apple store, the problem was fixed in under two minutes ... go figure.

Yes a VERY long drive…but definitely worth it!:) Better then it having a serious hardware problem leading to spending $1200+ for a new computer.

All he did was press four keys at the same time, which brought up an option box, and reset the screen size.

Unfortunately, my memory was in CRS mode and I don't remember the four keys he pressed to get to the video display options. It was two keys on the right side and two keys on the left pressed at the same time.

It would have been really cool if this was some sort of rarely-known "secret" 4-key combo!:) One of the most common 4-key combos is the reset PRAM/NVRAM (command + option + p + r).

But if some sort of option box popped up…I'm sure it wasn't that.

Congrats again on getting things sorted out!:)

- Nick

OP
lizardskeep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He said the computer probably responded to the resets I tried (safe mode and the like) but I just couldn't see them with the screen being dark. Whatever he did over rode the dark screen.

Long drive, yes. But I was really impressed with the customer service. Quick and efficient.

Wife said she thinks the four keys were both command keys the R key and either the I or the O keys. Not sure

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Long drive, yes. But I was really impressed with the customer service. Quick and efficient.

Yes it is nice to be treated well after such a long drive!:)

Hopefully while there (2.5 hours away) you took advantage of some other shopping opportunities & food!:):)

- Nick

OP
lizardskeep
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL .... we live in the woods of East Texas and visiting a "for real" Mall in the big city is a treat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.