decision time

J

jdpfeil

I have been looking at new laptops for a while now and am ready to go ahead and make a purchase. I am a long-time pc user, but am interested in the thought of a mac. I mostly use my computer for music and movie ripping, digital photos, and web browsing. I really dont want a 17" screen bc they are just too big for me. Can anyone help me decide to get an ibook, powerbook, or macbookpro? The price for these is not an issue, but I don't want to pay lots of extra money for no real reason. Or would you recommend going with another pc? On a sidenote...I would also consider a desktop since I will probably keep the laptop I have now, but the portability is very attractive to me. I appreciate any advice you can send my way.--Jeremy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i would get the mac book pro. several reasons:
it is not 17"
you would look cool to open up in a wifi spot and get on the internet
it will meet the demands that you stated
it has the intel core duo(which in the long run would be better)
it is replacing the powerbook
it has better screen resolution than the iBook
bigger screen than the iBook
better video card than the iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
macbook

Well if you can manage waiting the new MacBook is rumored to come out in the next few months. Apple has stated that all their computer models will be converted to intel chips by the end of 2006 and I doubt apple will wait until the end of '06 to release the MacBook since the iBook was such a success.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe that the MacBook will be out before the start of the next school semester.

OP
T

tortoise

If money was not an issue for me there is no other computer I'd even consider buying than the MacBook Pro.

Your needs seem well within Mac abilities, just a question on if you want to switch or not. I bet if you do you won't go back :girl:

OP
J

jdpfeil

What will the differences be in the macbook and macbookpro? Another reason I am looking now is I get a 10% discount I think as a student, but graduate in May and lose that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
jdpfeil, I'm not positive, but the analogy I offer, from my understanding, is this:

The MacBook is to the MacBook Pro as the iBook is to the PowerBook. Now I may not be right, and someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

The only other thing I could think of, is that they're planning to have 3 models in their notebook line. If that'd the case, I'd assume the MacBook would be the middle line. However, I believe that they're sticking w/ two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Macbook Pro is PERFECT for your needs, if you can manage the money. If not, go for the PowerBook, it's a bit cheaper and you're still getting a really good machine (oh wait they don't sell those anymore... check Apple's Refurbished site). So if you're on a tighter budget, go Powerbook.

But if that's all you're doing, you'll be fine with a MacBook Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.