Reboot necessary multiple times

Reaction score
I am having times when I have to reboot the MacBook Pro Retina 15" early 2013 multiple times. OS-X 10.10.3 16gb 2.7ghz Intel core I7 bought 2 Falls ago from Best Buy in Concord, NH. It hangs. I reboot it and after a few times it works. Anything to be done?

M

MacInWin

Can you help out a bit by expanding on "It hangs."? What are you doing when it hangs? Is it hanging in the boot process? When you log in? Running an app? What have you tried to fix it already? Any messages? Any errors reported?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Answers to those questions would be helpful, plus does it "hang" using a Safe Boot method?

To do so, Press and hold the shift key immediately you hear the boot chime from a fresh cold boot, then login.

OP
R
Reaction score
"Hangs" means it freezes during the boot process. I get the "Spinning beachball of death" I think its called. It occurs when booting. There is no error report. What I do is press the power button for over 5 seconds. I usually have to do this about 4 or 5 times. I have never tried a safe boot. I never heard a boot chime, but occasionally I hear some kind of sound. It is not consistent. I will try that, but sometimes it goes several days without its occurring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pity you did not purchase from Apple direct and set up AppleCare three year protection plan. Suggest taking it to Apple and from what one reads here, avoid Best Buy.

By chance any liquid spills would will apeear on the sensors inside your MBP?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How full is the internal storage (gigs used & gigs free)?

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Nothing spilled. I don't know how one tells how much free space is available in the machine. It has ROM for a disk drive. I suspect there is tons of available room. How do you tell? For context, I am an EE and was a Windows programmer (now retired) for over 20 years.

M

MacInWin

Once it's booted, you can check on boot drive availability by clicking the Apple logo upper left, then About This Mac and there should be a "Storage" tab on the resulting display. What is useful is how big the drive is and how much space is used/free. And I'd be surprised if the storage was ROM. ROM is "read only memory" and you cannot have a read only boot drive. You may be intending to say it's a solid-state drive. If you do have an SSD, it may e having some issue (unlikely) or something you are starting at boot is hanging up. A Safe Boot will avoid any startup stuff and you can use it as booted to clean up the boot sequence. You can also check at System Preferences/User & Groups for the Login Items on your accounts. Note that to delete them you use the "-" key at the bottom of the list, not the checkbox. The checkbox is just to hide/unhide the boot item, not stop it from starting at boot. That doesn't identify ALL things that load at boot, but it does show anything associated with YOUR account, which is a good start.

OP
R
Reaction score
Wow, what a great response! Thank you. Yes, I do have a solid state drive. The drive capacity is 500 gigs. Other=90.66, Apps=29.49, Photos=15.46, Backups=5.45, Audio=0.737 and Movies=0.327. Like I said, most of it is free. I will try a safe boot. I'm not going to try it now, as the thing is working, but later. This might give me an opportunity to get rid of some junk I've accumulated. I'll post what happens. Again, thanks.

Reaction score
Honestly if it is freezing take it into apple have them do a diagnostic on the SSD.

Apple was having problems with there SSD's and released a firmware patch for the affected drives.

you might want to check this out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And you might like to run Recovery Mode over it, in Utilities chjoose Disk Utility and run Repair Disk. SSDs like platter drives do fail, and at 2 years old you can see why they come with a twelve month warranty.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, I booted in safe mode. The computer is very slow and there are constant screen redraws. I ran the disk verification and it says the disk is ok. I don't understand the screen redraws, but that might have something to do with safe mode. I am using Google Chrome. That also might be a problem.

M

MacInWin

Now just boot normally, check the login items as I suggested and see if it's better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I booted in safe mode. The computer is very slow and there are constant screen redraws. I ran the disk verification and it says the disk is ok. I don't understand the screen redraws, but that might have something to do with safe mode. I am using Google Chrome. That also might be a problem.

I'd find that screen redraw a bit of a concern and it should NOT be happening using a Safe Boot, as basically only the Apple's basic OS X stuff loads but may take a bit longer to get there:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201262

Do you have another cloned drive you can boot from and try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And you might like to run Recovery Mode over it, in Utilities chjoose Disk Utility and run Repair Disk. SSDs like platter drives do fail, and at 2 years old you can see why they come with a twelve month warranty.

Yes, they can and do fail, but I haven't seen any decent brand SSDs sold within the last few years that only had a two year warranty. Even most of the cheaper ones had at least a three year warranty.

But I do wonder about the testing utilities and how valid they are when checking an SSD, as basically it's almost the same thing as testing RAM modules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not when sold installed in a computer. The twelve month is it considered an OEM device.

Toshiba for one changed to a three year warranty early last year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not when sold installed in a computer. The twelve month is it considered an OEM device.

Toshiba for one changed to a three year warranty early last year.

Oh right. I'd forgotten about those OEM drives and the often and usual 12 month warranty.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, I eliminated a few things - the Verizon manager was suspected and it does run better without it. However, the problem still exists. If I had to guess, I would think the computer has to warm up before it's trouble-free. It boots then freezes. I hold down the power key, wait a few seconds then boot again. I get a dialog saying I shut my computer because of a problem. If I click on one of the buttons (either), it freezes. I power cycle, it boots again. I let the dialog time out. I open anything and it freezes. I power cycle again and it works ok. I have scanned the machine with multiple detectors and it doesn't find anything.

M

MacInWin

What I would recommend is to get it booted in Safe Mode, then move all your files from it to an external drive. You can use Finder, or get CCC, or even TimeMachine, to do that. Once your personal files are securely stored there, reboot holding CMD+I to do an internet restore. That will download the OS the machine came with from the factory, offer to install it. In that process make sure you format the drive so you don't have any residual from now. Once it's reinstalled, see if it will boot, then you can download and install Yosemite if you want, and then copy back your personal files from the external storage. If the reinstall doesn't make it better, then 90% guess it's the HD failing/failed.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, Jake, sounds like a good idea, but it will take a long time. I have a drive that I can do that with, but like I said, I was a Windows programmer. Don't I need files to reinstall the programs? Can I just put a .dmg into the applications drive and it will launch? Aren't there some kind of parameter file with each application? Where are they?

I'm a State Legislator. This sounds like the sort of thing I would have to do in July after our half year session.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.