Cancelling Internet recovery?

Reaction score
Hello,

So I actually have several problems with my Macbook Pro at the moment, but here is the most urgent: I started Internet Recovery, and it's taking forever. Can I quit it safely?

The reason I went into it in the first place is that my computer wouldn't accept my password after doing a PRAM zap, so Recovery seemed the easiest way to get back in. Boy, was I wrong! :Grimmace:

Is it normal that a PRAM zap would reset my password? Or is it messing with my keyboard?

I appreciate any help, thanks!

Early 2011 Macbook Pro 13 inch Maverick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What password are you referring to ? The logon password or the hardware password ?

Cheers ... McBie

M

MacInWin

And an Internet Recovery can be very, very slow. Basically you are downloading the entire OS to reinstall, about 6GB or so. Then it will do the reinstall. So, yes, IRs are slow.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And no, a PRAM reset does not reset the login password.

OP
F
Reaction score

Thanks for your responses.

What do you think has happened? It's showing me the same old password hint and I know it's going in correctly. There was some water damage to the internal keyboard, but I'm using an external one now and it has been working fine. Could it be that there's some damage to the motherboard that's crossing signals from the keyboard, so to speak?

I am going to take it apart and clean it and dry it out soon.

OP
F
Reaction score

Thanks for your responses.

What do you think has happened? It's showing me the same old password hint and I know it's going in correctly. There was some water damage to the internal keyboard, but I'm using an external one now and it has been working fine. Could it be that there's some damage to the motherboard that's crossing signals from the keyboard, so to speak?

I am going to take it apart and clean it and dry it out soon.

Oh and to update: I did a hard shutdown during the stalled Internet recovery and everything was fine (unless it's not, and maybe that's my password problem)??

To add onto everything else, it's now shutting itself off in Guest Mode. I ran the quick Apple hardware test, which said everything was ok, but when I tried the extensive one, **** thing shut itself off before it could finish. Am I doomed?
:Shouting:

M

MacInWin

There was some water damage to the internal keyboard
You may have severe damage to the main logic board that is directly under the keyboard. Water on the keyboard is bad not only for the keyboard, but for the entire machine. And if you haven't done anything to dry it out completely, the problem is going to multiply. I think you have a dying or dead machine.

OP
F
Reaction score
Dear God say it isn't so! I did put in in front of the fan for days, turning it every once it a while so the water wouldn't pool. But that clearly wasn't enough. It's crazy because it was really a tiny amount of water, just a couple drops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas it is so and quite normal for logic board damage to take up to a couple of weeks to emerge as the corrosion starts to increase. One drop in the wrong place is a drop too much.

OP
F
Reaction score
Oh God. Well I'm going to give it an isopropyl alcohol bath and clean it a littlewith a toothbrush and then pray, I guess.

M

MacInWin

I'd say no bath and no toothbrush. Just open the case, blow some warm, not hot, air on it and let it sit for a while to air dry. Parts and traces on the circuit boards are tiny and very easy to damage.

OP
F
Reaction score
I'd say no bath and no toothbrush. Just open the case, blow some warm, not hot, air on it and let it sit for a while to air dry. Parts and traces on the circuit boards are tiny and very easy to damage.

That sounds wise. Maybe I'll just replace the keyboard then, it was making nothing but crazy symbols. I wonder if I could just clean it instead?

Just realized I touched internals without wearing an anti static bracelet. Is that wildly risky?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Others may disagree but to me working on the machine without a static strap is the least of your worries at this point. My guess is that the keyboard replacement will only improve things temporarily if a all.

OP
F
Reaction score
It does still power on...that's kind of a good sign, right? It just shuts itself off occasionally. I can get to the guest account, recovery, etc...it doesn't seem to want to go into Terminal though, which is making my life very difficult.

Should I replace the keyboard and see what happens? Not much else to do at this point, right?

Just trying to hold on to some hope :eek:

OP
F
Reaction score
It does still power on...that's kind of a good sign, right? It just shuts itself off occasionally. I can get to the guest account, recovery, etc...it doesn't seem to want to go into Terminal though, which is making my life very difficult.

Should I replace the keyboard and see what happens? Not much else to do at this point, right?

Just trying to hold on to some hope :eek:

When I removed the logic board, the heatsink cable was stuck to what was underneath, the backlight. Removing it caused a rip in the backlight. So maybe there was heat damage. The plot thickens...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.