System Preferences Locked..

Reaction score
I mistakenly locked my sys. preferences and now it asks for password to unlock, and of course I don't remember it. I have tried my main password without success and any other password I can think of. I have used the question mark for hint, but no hint appears. My system is a late 2012 mac mini entry-level os 10.8.5. I sure could use some help getting the lock open.

As always, your assistance is greatly appreciated..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about telling how you "locked" your System Preferences app. In other words, what did you use to lock it?

OP
C
Reaction score
I was foolish, messing with things I know nothing about. I was looking at preferences, notice the box was unlocked, so I licked it. Now it wants a password to unlock and I can't find the correct password. I am at a true loss without the preferences open.

Please help,
Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you by any chance activate FileVault which generates its own password which you write down immediately?

OP
C
Reaction score
harry2448
I do not believe I activated "FileVault".

chscag,
the lock was unlocked then I clicked on the lock and it closed

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The password would be the same you use to log into your user account - assuming you are the primary account on the machine with admin privileges.

When you click on the lock, the window that opens should have the user account name in the box already - you need the password for the account shown.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have tried my log on password. I actually reset the password and it still doesn't work.. I wish I had more information to provide, but I am stuck at a wall that I can't get through..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Not every option in System Preferences has a padlock symbol, which one(s) specifically did you lock?

OP
C
Reaction score
In preferences, the "Users and Groups" are locked. Also, my printer is in "Paused" mode. Not allowing me to cut, paste and print. There may be more areas that are locked, I just haven't found them.

Thanks all for your help, I do appreciate your effort.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@caspoor

I've tried to reproduce what did. As others have said, only a few of the System Preferences can be locked. In each case, on my iMac anyway (running Mavericks), the padlock was "locked" by default as I think it should be, thus requiring the admin PW to unlock.

From what you report, your padlock was "open". You then locked it. When I unlocked mine (admin PW), then locked it again, it only required my admin PW to unlock—as stated by others.

So I can't quite follow (1) why your app padlocks were open, apparently by default and (2) why your admin PW doesn't open them.

Could it be that you are not the admin user? Anybody else use the Mac? Is it possible that you messed about with your PWs after locking?

For the more experienced Forum members, are we nearing the stage of initiating the "Reset PW" option?

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Hello IWP,
It is hard for me to understand as well. I am the admin and I have tried my admin PW, I even reset my admin PW and it still doesn't unlock the locks. Messing with PWs yes, I have tried a verity of ones that might have worked but, as of now I am out of ideas to fix my lock situation.

Your suggestions please..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hello IWP,
It is hard for me to understand as well. I am the admin and I have tried my admin PW, I even reset my admin PW and it still doesn't unlock the locks. Messing with PWs yes, I have tried a verity of ones that might have worked but, as of now I am out of ideas to fix my lock situation.

Your suggestions please..

How did you reset your admin password and what method did you use??

I can't recall that ML resets ALL the admin passwords to be used, like login, keychain access. pref panes… Maybe a guru knows. ;)

To fix your printer, open your printer in System Prefs and Open Print Queue…
In the Printer Window that opens, click to select the print job(s) and then the Red delete button, then click the Pause to Resume or whatever option you have/

PS: Hint, keep the print window's icon on your Dock for quick access. ;)

M

MacInWin

What is blowing my mind is that cashpoor says he changed his admin PW, but to do that you have to be in System Preferences and provide the old admin password to make the change, which he says the system wouldn't take. So how in the world did he manage to change his admin PW?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good question Jake.

@cashpoor Something else may be going on here. I don't think a password needs to be entered to pause/release a printer -- at least not normally. Same is true for cut/paste. Have you run any system utilities, cleanup programs, etc. recently?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There seem to be too many if, buts and maybes and even some rather vague unknowns from the OP to get the problem fixed via a forum here, and it's probably best to get hold of a local Apple Techie to get things fixed. Otherwise it's probably going to be a very long or never to be solved problem. ;D

M

MacInWin

No, it's more likely that there is something the OP hasn't told us yet that is the key to this problem. But if we keep asking, it may come out. If he wants to go to the Apple store with it, that's always an option, but once we have the key missing piece of information, we should be able to sort this out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hence my suggestion, and how long are you prepared to keep asking.

I'm usually pretty stubborn and persistent, but I'd say times up and no insult intended, but I sense the OP is not familiar enough with any Mac computer jargon to describe, understand or help themselves.

M

MacInWin

MOST of the folks who come here aren't really familiar with computer jargon, much less OS X jargon, which is why they come here. We very often have to pick at the problem bit-by-bit, defining terms if needed, until we get to the heart of the problem. In the case of cashpoor, there is something he did, or ran, or clicked, that is creating this situation. So our challenge is to figure out how to ask the question in a way that he can answer without the jargon. That's the fun of being here...trying to sort out problems and help people learn how to talk tech! And as for how long, as long as the OP is willing to work with us cooperatively. About the only time I abandon the search for solution is when I run out of ideas or the OP gets testy about why the problem isn't solved.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks again guys or your thoughts,

This truly has me baffled. I went to print mode changed from paused to print and at the bottom left it says, click lock to make changes. I tried that and it asks for the PW. I have not run any programs that I can think of in a long while. However, I have noticed a slowing in response time for web pages to load over the last couple of months. I thought the cable provider might be at fault so I ran a couple of speed tests.

3-22-15
ping 32ms.
dl 28.6mbps
ul 4.75mbps

4-16-15

The test showed an actual increase in speed. So why is it running slow? I just don't have an answer for why this computer is acting the way it is. Could I have picked up a bug? I am very careful about opening attachments through email.

Additional thoughts, please..

M

MacInWin

@cashpoor, stop. That is a distraction, as is the printer issue. Let's concentrate on ONE thing, the password and locks situation. You haven't told us how you managed to change the password if System Preferences is locked and won't take the password. Answer that question first and we'll deal with the rest later. Nothing about printing, nothing about slow downs. Focus on the password issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.