Any suggestions of Blu-ray drive for my new MacBook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a New MacBook recently, and I couldn’t wait to play my recently favorite movie Big Hero 6 with it, I got its Blu-ray disc from a friend. Well... here comes the problem, since I don’t have a Blu-ray drive, I can’t play a blu-ray disc via my new MacBook.

I’ve looked up on the Internet, but I still am struggled... I need a light and portable one, and it’s even better if it can burn blu-ray discs, any recommendation of this blu-ray drive/burner would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There are plenty of portable drives I can recommend, but the problem you are facing is the lack of software to actually play a Blu-Ray disc. Well not so much a lack, but the only ones I am aware of come from rather sketchy companies that I wouldn't trust. I rip and convert my own Blu-Ray movies/shows for playback on an HTPC, but discussion of that is off-limits here.

This is the drive I currently use. It is read-only and requires 2 free USB ports. It has a tray for loading the disc.
Amazon.com: LG Super Multi Blue Slim Portable with 3D Blu-ray Disc Playback and M-DISC� Support CP40NG10: Computers & Accessories

I've used an older version of this Pioneer drive. It too requires 2 USB ports, but it can write to BD also. The top pops up for you to place the disc inside.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T6WLFQQ/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Also, go here, pick one... Other World Computing (OWC) - Performance Upgrades For Your Mac
Don't know about software except for Toast has a Blu-Ray plug-in.

@ AmberBeda - I've been exploring playing BD movies on my Apple computers (own the Apple SuperDrive which is fine for CDs & DVDs) - own nearly 360 blu-ray discs - OWC as suggested above has a number of blu-ray drives on sale w/ Roxio's software being offered in some deals (make sure that you read the reviews and comments carefully; e.g. I considered one which required the use of two USB ports, which might be an issue?).

Once you've decided on the hardware to purchase, software is the next question and several suggestions have been offered - if not already seen, take a look at this MacWorld Article from Jan 2014, so fairly recent. Good luck and let us know your results - I may just take the plunge! ;) Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.