Restoring from Time Machine with new username

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im new here. Im glad to have found this site for my mac fans and queries.

Anyway, I am using an mba and i have full backup in my airport time capsule. I will be buying a new macbook retina for my son. I honestly feel to lazy to install all the apps he needs specially the ones that takes too long to install such as Parallel Desktop, windows etc.

Will this shortcut procedure for lazy people work?

1. Back up my MBA
2. connect new pro retina to capsule
3. restore MY backup in my son's pro retina
4. Change the username to his new username
5. Then just uninstall apps he doesnt need

What do you think? Thanks for all possible thoughts and comments.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you do your "lazy" procedure you'll actually create more work than if you just let your son setup his new machine, create his own account and then install those apps which are legal to install on his machine. Doing it your way will duplicate your machine to his and changing the user name will lead to more trouble than it's worth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I can't really see what would be much wrong with the "lazy" method and just add the son as an admin user and let him just use that Mac.

But I can see some hassles and updates not always working properly depending on who purchased what and from where and who owns what etc.

But what about just letting the son setup his new MBr and use Migration Assistant to migrate the apps etc., but its an all or nothing thing and I don't know if it can do anything with Parallel Desktop, windows etc.

And maybe I'll just quit babbling along and agree that the long way may be quicker and easier and better in the long run… ;) ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
and maybe i'll just quit babbling along and agree that the long way may be quicker and easier and better in the long run…

+1. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, you don't want to mess with those Brinks guys. Looks like most of the folks who picked up the cash turned it in to Brinks or the State Highway Patrol. Well, there goes my new iPhone 6+S that I was hoping to save for. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess not, no messing there, and I guess they carry some big calibre guns down there, and I read that such uniformed people have a habit of just shooting people lately. But don't they know about using and keeping money bills in canvas money transfer bags rather than loose in their van. That's just hilarious and ludicrous, especially when the armoured van door opens for no real reason. ;D

Anyway, now back to Mac stuff I guess… ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.