Mulling-over getting an iPhone 6S+ (or 7+ or whatever they call the next one)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I have a couple of questions I have thought of so far:

Can I use iTunes to load my pre-existing music library (legit rips of my own CDs; some ripped with DRM, some not) onto an iPhone; and if I can, can I do so from the MP3s, WMAs, & M4As already on my PC, or would I need to re-rip them in iTunes?

How safe is Jailbreaking, and is it true that it doesn't invalidate the warranty unless it is the direct cause of the problem with the device (or am I thinking of rooting Android)?

C

chas_m

If your Windows library was in iTunes already, then it should transfer over mostly intact to your Mac, from which you can transfer them to iTunes. The WMAs will need to be converted to a standard format.

I'm unclear on how you could rip a CD with DRM. You'll need to clarify that one. MP3s and MP4/M4As will work/transfer just fine.

Jailbreaking is incredibly unsafe. It doesn't invalidate the warranty, but obviously if you damage your iPhone or the OS by downloading something fishy you're out of luck -- Apple will not TOUCH a jailbroken iPhone.

M

MacInWin

Are you asking the questions about the iPhone 6s/7, or how things work now? If about the yet-to-be-announced-maybe-it-exists phone, the answer is that we don't know anything about it. Chas_m's answer was correct for today, may or may not be for then, if then ever exists.

OP
Ctrl-Opt-Del
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
If your Windows library was in iTunes already, then it should transfer over mostly intact to your Mac, from which you can transfer them to iTunes. The WMAs will need to be converted to a standard format.
I realise now that I put this post in the wrong forum, I was asking about switching from an Android phone to an iPhone; I see now this is specifically about switching to a Mac from Windows (or other OS) based PCs. Sorry :\

I'm unclear on how you could rip a CD with DRM. You'll need to clarify that one. MP3s and MP4/M4As will work/transfer just fine.
I ripped some long ago using oldskool RealPlayer, then I ripped some with Windows Media Player when it automatically went online and baked-in DRM by default, and then the last of it was ripped with WMP once they'd added the option to rip without DRM (preferable, as it made the files significantly smaller).

Jailbreaking is incredibly unsafe. It doesn't invalidate the warranty, but obviously if you damage your iPhone or the OS by downloading something fishy you're out of luck -- Apple will not TOUCH a jailbroken iPhone.
Fair enough, must be rooting Android I was thinking of.

Are you asking the questions about the iPhone 6s/7, or how things work now? If about the yet-to-be-announced-maybe-it-exists phone, the answer is that we don't know anything about it. Chas_m's answer was correct for today, may or may not be for then, if then ever exists.
I was just asking what Apple's general policy vis-á-vis warranties with regard to Jailbroken devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.