Buying first IMac, alot of questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
My 5 year old Dell is starting to act up and after playing with my wife's new IPad Air I have decided to buy a Apple IMac. I do have a few questions and hopefully I can get some answers.....

I am looking at the 21" model, I believe the 27" would be to big for the room my current computer is in. How do I decide which one I should get? I mainly use my computer for web surfing, e-mail, no gaming really except for a Yahoo poker game. My wife has a lot of pictures on Picasa, we have some files and recipes saved. With everyting we have stored we still have 620GB free of 688GB. No need to buy more than I need is there?

We live 120 miles from the nearest Apple store and 25 miles from Best Buy which I understand sell Apple products. Would it be worth the trip to buy from the Apple Store?

I read a few posts before I decided to post these questions so does anyone have a problem buying a refurbished Apple IMac?

And the last one I can think of, right now, Do I have to continue with my virus protection?

Thanks in advance you can provide.

Wornslick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am looking at the 21" model, I believe the 27" would be to big for the room my current computer is in. How do I decide which one I should get?

There are only three stock models. You probably don't need the top-end model…and I wouldn't recommend the low-end model. So I would say get the mid-model.:)

My wife has a lot of pictures on Picasa, we have some files and recipes saved. With everyting we have stored we still have 620GB free of 688GB. No need to buy more than I need is there?

This means you're only using 68gig of storage space. Not much by today's standards.

We live 120 miles from the nearest Apple store and 25 miles from Best Buy which I understand sell Apple products. Would it be worth the trip to buy from the Apple Store?

Buy via Apple.com…then you don't have to drive anywhere!:)

I read a few posts before I decided to post these questions so does anyone have a problem buying a refurbished Apple IMac?

Many of us highly recommend it.:)

Do I have to continue with my virus protection?

In my opinion…no.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi Wornslick!

I agree with what Nick said. Refurbished fro Apple will give you a year of apple care - just like a new one would - and you can add more apple care later, if you wish.

And from a 30+ Windows user (still use it at work) - no, you do not need antivirus. Initially, I tried them all and if they found anything it was an email attachment that would only affect a Windows computer. We do recommend certain browser extension to prevent popup issues.

When you get your iMac post back and tell us what you got and we will give you some recommendations.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Daniel, my iMac was purchased from Apple Refurbished and is the way to go. Depending on which 21.5" model you get, the memory installed may not be upgradeable so make sure you have ample. Most here recommend the 8GB but for me 16GB is much better. With a refurb you get a machine checked by apple, the latest operating system and twelve months warranty. For another couple of hundred dollars you can extend that warranty for a further two years, total cover is then three years.

Also most seniors users here do not use any Antivirus software as there are no viruses for Mac OS X. There is malware all round, so when you get it consider downloading and running AdwareMedic, AdBlockPlus and Ghostery to keep these nasties at bay.

Should you decide to also run Windows on your iMac, via BootCamp or other emulation software, of course anivirus software is critical.

M

MacInWin

What Harry meant to say was if you run Windows, then WINDOWS antivirus software is critical in that Windows system. No Windows virus can affect OS X, the Apple operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
don't dismiss the 27" iMac

yes it's bigger but not hugely so, and you gain the ability to upgrade the RAM easily yourself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
I agree with the 27" iMac, it's the desk you put it on that matters, and both the 21" and 27" have basically the same base that will touch the desk. 3 yrs of Apple Care is good choice as well.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
don't dismiss the 27" iMac

yes it's bigger but not hugely so, and you gain the ability to upgrade the RAM easily yourself

So I cannot upgrade the Ran on the 21"?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can add memory - but there is no access to it without taking the screen off it - not something most computer users are willing to tackle. I've been building my own computers for 20 years and have no problem tackling notebooks either, but an iMac - think I'd have to read the take apart instructions quite a few times before that'd be something I'd be willing to tackle and maybe find a couple of videos talking about the things to watch out for while you're doing it. There's no way I'd do it just to add RAM to my wife's machine - her use practically mirrors what you've indicated you do with a computer. I bought her iMac with the 8 GB option.

Being your first Mac, I'd suggest buying online or make a day trip out of going to the Apple store and take the family to a new or favorite restaurant you haven't been to in awhile. If you can schedule an appointment for an hour ahead of time, you could get them to walk you through the system preferences, using the Menu bar, the Dock, where are all your apps located, the file structure and ask lots of questions and get real answers. The hour I spent there asking questions on the trip buying my first Mac was worth every minute of it.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all for the great advice. We are heading to Quincy Ill this morning to Best Buy so I can take a look at the screen sizes. Not planning on buying there though. Thinks seriously about a refurbished one, especially if I move up to the 27". Is the Apple Store the only online store that sells refurbished units? If there are others, which do you recommend?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are other online vendors which sell refurbished Macs such as Other World Computing. The selection at each vendor will vary considerably depending upon what they have gotten in trade from customers.

The length of warranty will also vary from one vendor to another. I'm not aware of any vendors that have one year warranties on refurbished Macs as Apple does but there may be one out there somewhere. Haven't been shopping for a new/used Mac since about mid 2008.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are others, but you won't get Apple's own warranty. If you can afford a new Mac vs buying a second hand machine - and with your first Mac, highly advise go new or go with Apple's own refurbs which are for sure same as new and get the same as new warranty. With the 21" iMac on your target list, If the BB has the 27" 5k on display, I suggest you walk right past it. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If purchasing refurbished…definitely go with Apple. 12 months of included Applecare is very very nice to have. And Apple refurbished units are just like new!:)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all, just got back from Best Buy and they did not have a single IMac to look at. Did get to see a 27" monitor and it didn't seem to big.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been reading about the refurbished IMacs and came across this....

" As these refurbished products have been unpacked and manipulated, they might however exhibit some minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks or discolorations. "

How many of you that have purchased refurbished units have had cosmetic imperfections?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where did that quote come from?

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's from the Apple page where provide the info on what it is they do to the refurb units.

I've not purchased a refurb myself, as of yet. I have seen a lot of posts from those that have purchased refurbs and I don't recall anyone stating they received anything other than what appeared to be a brand new machine.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Tom for verifying the quote.:)

And I'm with you 100%. If Apple refurbs. had cosmetic issues (even minor ones as the quote states)…we would have folks posting all the time about it. I can't remember the last time someone posted complaining about cosmetic issues with an Apple refurbished product.

So I'm going to say 99% of folks buying Apple refurbished units have no issues with anything cosmetic (there's always at least 1 person…so no 100%)!;)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would think any of them with cosmetic issues would have bigger discounts also. That could be a part of the reason there can be a higher spec'd machine at a lower price than a lower spec'd machine. But still, don't think I've ever seen anyone make a negative comment related to the appearance of a refurb Mac from Apple. I've been looking at the 5k in the store for a week now to see if one will pop up with what I want in it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.