• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

VHS to DVDs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
Hey Everybody,

I spent the Christmas break converting my Grandma and Grandpas old VSH and 8MM tapes to digital files using Elgato Video Capture, worked great and everything is organized and ready to go.

I need some advice on getting all 37.mp4 files onto separate DVD's that will play them on a TV.
Is there a way of doing this without having to convert them all before burning them to discs?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I have learned a few things reading different site. I took it for granted iDVD or Toast would do the job. It seems they do not like mp4 files if what I read is correct. I use Adobe Encore for creating DVD's but that is not a free version. I did find one program but I can not say how good it is but they do provide a lot of nice helpful pictures

How to Burn a MP4 to DVD on Mac/PC - AppGeeker

Let me know if it works because I am sure the question will come up again.

BTW: You must really love your Grandma and Grandpa because I know how much work that you had to do to get those videos converted.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
iDVD will accept mp4 files. Just open a Project and drag and drop your movies into the main window.

If, for some reason, that doesn't work, try the free Burn:
Burn - Home

Just make sure that you make a Video DVD.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It will still depend on the DVD player they have. I have run into some that will not play any non-commercial DVD - period. Of course, newer DVD players are dirt cheap nowadays.

Definitely suggest once you have the process down and have a disc that plays succesfully in one of your DVD players, go try it on theirs before you start burning a bunch of discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.