save a copy of mavericks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Monterey 12.2 iMac 24-inch,2021 Apple M1 8GB
I am currently using mavericks up graded from mountain lion. I want to save a copy of mavericks to save on my computer before I upgrade to Yosemite. I made a copy of Mountain Lion but I cannot remember how I did it can someone please help my system is 21.5-inch, Mid 2011

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest you use an external hard drive connected by FW800 and use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the hard drive to the external. The advantage these programs have over Time Machine is in the case of problems, they are both bootable.

To save an operating system on download, use DiskMakerX to burn to a USB thumb drive, but this needs to be done prior to running the Installer. If you downloaded Mavricks previously, you can go into the App Store > Purchases and download again and use DiskMakerX.

http://liondiskmaker.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am currently using mavericks up graded from mountain lion. I want to save a copy of mavericks to save on my computer before I upgrade to Yosemite. I made a copy of Mountain Lion but I cannot remember how I did it can someone please help my system is 21.5-inch, Mid 2011

Hello - do you still have a copy of the 'Install Mavericks App'? If so, you can follow Apple's Instructions HERE to create a bootable USB drive - first screen capture below is my mounted old Mavericks bootable USB drive w/ the app showing - now on Yosemite.

Now, please read this closely OS X Daily article about how to re-download OS X Mavericks Installer from the OS X Yosemite App Store - if you had downloaded Mavericks from the store, going to your purchases will allow you to again obtain the app (see the second screenshot from my purchases).

NOW, another approach is to clone your Mavericks drive (using cloning software, such as Carbon Copy cloner and an inexpensive external HD) - you basically reformat your upgraded Yosemite drive, if unhappy, and easily return to the older OS X; Time Machine would be another consideration, which you should already be using. Let me stop there for you to think about these options, ask more questions as needed, and to let our experienced members 'chime in' w/ their comments. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 4.28.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 4.32.20 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would seriously forget about the first link RadDave posted, unless you have a working knowledge of Terminal. If you download the LionDisk Maker that Harry posted, and have the "Install Mavericks" installer already downloaded onto your Mac, then go that way, as it steps you through the process and is very easy to use.
Just FYI, when using either way, let the LionDisk Maker or Terminal do its job and finish before you eject the USB. I say this, because both ways, you will feel as if it is doing nothing, (as there is no bells and whistles or loading indicators to let you know the progress of the job being done).
Leave it if you are unsure, or if you really need to know if its working, right click or ⌃+click on the USB and get info, and look at the size of the USB. If you do this a few times, you will see the size increase, and it should increase up to about 5.7gb all up.

C

chas_m

Much easier, it would seem to me, and better in the long-term to just institute a backup strategy, which by its nature will also preserve your existing OS version until you decide to replace said backup. Doing either a Time Machine restore or using one of the suggested clone programs will give you a complete backup of your system exactly as it was before you upgraded, everything included.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Monterey 12.2 iMac 24-inch,2021 Apple M1 8GB
Thanks for your advise I use carbon copy cloner and made a backup copy on a western digital external hard drive as I'm already using them for a backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good work you have it all covered. Just do a weekly update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.