• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Movies bought in itunes

Reaction score
I recently purchased a portable projector which allows me to hook my iphone up to it and watch movies through the projector on the wall. For some reason when I go to watch a movie it tells me "I do not have permission to watch the movie on this device" it only says this when I have the phone hooked up to the projector via lightning/VGA adapter.

This is a weird problem I know, wanted to see if anyone had experienced a similar issue.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Welcome to the DRM generation (digital rights management) or in this case HDCP (high-bandwidth digital content protection). Everyone that provides commercial HD movies/TV shows must adhere to this. Each device in the chain must be HDCP compliant. VGA and DVI are not. You'll need to use HDMI or displayport. You might be able to play the SD version via VGA - not sure - been a long time since I've tried playing the SD version of anything available in HD.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.