New here, G5 Panther help

D

dpixel8

I am new here, but look to be around for a long time. Heres a little background:

I am an art director (glorified graphic designer) and I just got a brand new G5 for the office. So now we have a G3 and a G5. Much nicer, this OSX stuff. Very lovely interface and seems to be very fast...except at startup.

When the G5 starts up, I get a blinking "globe" icon, that goes for about 5 mins, and then a little blinking folder icon. I thought it was the network settings, but even after it finally gets started up, I have all the network stuff correct on the machine.

So I ask you, is this normal? Am I missing something? Granted, I have only been messing around on this for about 10 hours now, and have much more to read in these forums, but this is one issue I really want to take care of asap. Thanks much for any concern and help in solving this matter, and nice to meet you all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Very simple solution.

Go to System Preferences
Startup Disk
And select the OS X folder that is displayed.

Reboot and you should not have the ?folder anymore

OP
D

dpixel8

trpnmonkey41 said:
Very simple solution.

Go to System Preferences
Startup Disk
And select the OS X folder that is displayed.

Reboot and you should not have the ?folder anymore

So that is why it is blinking the little earth globe as well before the folder icon? Thanks for your fast reply by the way as well. Its very much appreciated. *bookmarks Mac-Forums.com*

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
One of the thing you maybe seeing is system checking. I know the more memory you have on the system, the longer is takes to boot up. I believe this is when you see the spinning globe. Network connection checking can cause delays also. But 5 minutes appears to be a long time to me, but I don't have a G5 and I am not running Panther as of yet.

Hopefully, someone with Panther and a G5 can answer your question.

OP
D

dpixel8

rman said:
One of the thing you maybe seeing is system checking. I know the more memory you have on the system, the longer is takes to boot up. I believe this is when you see the spinning globe. Network connection checking can cause delays also. But 5 minutes appears to be a long time to me, but I don't have a G5 and I am not running Panther as of yet.

Hopefully, someone with Panther and a G5 can answer your question.

Again, thank you. I will check that as well. Going to do that one change that the second post was and I am going to reboot quick. BRB

OP
D

dpixel8

Wow, you guys are frickin amazing. Fast responses, and that was the EXACT problem! WOW. amazing startup time too. Took about 20 seconds from the time of restart. Thank you guys SO much. You will be seeing much more of me here in the forums. Thanks again

OP
P

pods

thank you! i too was lost... kind of a learning curve between the two. cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yup, this usually happens when its set to look for an unspecifed network on startup, but since you changed the start up disk, I recommend you repair permissions just to be safe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.