OEM Windows 7 Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on my mac Mini running Mavericks.

I am thinking of buying an OEM product key on Ebay, which is specific to Dell brand.

The vendor is reputable, and is saying that the Dell version installs and activates on any computer regardless of brand.

Are OEM versions supported for installation. I read in other posts that Apple will support only retail versions, but also non-brand-specific OEM versions.

Will this Dell product key be valid and legal for installing through Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Chances are it will actually install fine, the issue you may have is when it comes to activating the license with Microsoft.

There is nothing wrong with purchasing an OEM copy of Windows (with a hardware component - HDD etc), as that is exactly what I have done however, this was a Microsoft OEM DVD for system builders.

It cost a little more and is still limited to '1' machine (unlike retail copies which you can transfer from computer to computer as/when you upgrade) but I know it is fully legit and haven't ever ran into problems.

Not sure where you live, assuming US, so here is a Amazon link to a copy I would buy in your situation. Link

Hope that helps.

OP
M
Reaction score
martyp- Is there a difference between a Brand OEM and Microsoft OEM for System Builders? Is the Microsoft OEM the general version for any machine?

Are both allowable by Apple for Bootcamp.

If the seller is saying it will install on any computer, would it be safe to use this version.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Branded OEM (Dell, HP, IBM, Toshiba etc.) should only be used on their systems and to be honest, only the system it was sold with.

Microsoft OEM for system builders is suitable for branded PCs (Apple, Dell, HP etc.) and also for any computer you build yourself. Again this is only for the first computer you install it on, you can't upgrade major components or change computer - you'd need to buy another OEM copy. Retail versions don't have that issue, although you obviously can't have it on two at the same time.

To be honest, I doubt you'd have any issues installing the 'Dell' version on Bootcamp as they normally supply you with a burned DVD and only the original Dell product key sticker. It isn't quite legal though and that's the main point where you save a few bucks but regret it later on.

With Windows 10 coming out soon, and probably available for a cheap price initially, you could hold off for that and use the Win 10 technical preview if this isn't for business critical work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
To put it simply - the Dell CD will not install.

Then the activation code will work either unless on a Dell machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.