Problems with pages

Reaction score
I am having trouble with my pages app on macbook pro. I am writing a newsletter. When I get to about 3 or 4 pages and I am inserting pictures, it will delete pages just randomly! If I am not paying close attention, I have not noticed and then loose all of the work I put into writing articles on the pages that randomly got deleted! So frustrating!! Also the 'save as' option is gone?! I only have 'save' or 'rename'. This just isn't working real great. I don't know whats up with that! Help please! Thanks so much:)

Reaction score
Google "missing save as in Pages" for more information. It has been gone for a while. There was also some information about deleted pages in my search but I can't find it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I might help some of the Pages gurus if you mention what version of Pages you're using and maybe your OS X version as well. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am having trouble with my pages app on macbook pro. I am writing a newsletter. When I get to about 3 or 4 pages and I am inserting pictures, it will delete pages just randomly! If I am not paying close attention, I have not noticed and then loose all of the work I put into writing articles on the pages that randomly got deleted! So frustrating!! Also the 'save as' option is gone?! I only have 'save' or 'rename'. This just isn't working real great. I don't know whats up with that! Help please! Thanks so much:)

Well, I'm using the most recent version of Pages on OS 10.10.2 - 'Save as' is still an option, but there is a trick that is true in many menu selections - in Pages, open the 'File' menu, and then press the 'Option' key - 'Save as' will appear as a choice - see my attached screen capture (blue arrow) - let us know if that helps. Dave :)

SaveAS.jpg

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh my gosh Dave! I never new about pressing 'option', it totally worked! I really appreciate your response:) Thank you so much!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Oh my gosh Dave! I never new about pressing 'option', it totally worked! I really appreciate your response:) Thank you so much!!!

Hello again - glad that the Option key worked out for you! That key often provides different choices in various apps - sometimes the key needs to be pressed down when a menu is chosen - a neat combo is the Option key held down while opening your Wi-Fi icon at the top right menu bar - lists a LOT of detail about your wireless network. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes, the use of the option can be useful to expose a lot of otherwise hidden options, and I must say is a heck of a lot better than the hidden features that only show with a "mouse over", if one happens to actually know where to mouse over to even see any option.

And now that the Save feature is sorted out, it would be nice to know why the OP's pages '09 is deleting previous pages when inserting pictures.

I'd be inclined to pay close attention as to where the image is being inserted or at any flashing insertion point, and make sure nothing is already selected that would be overwritten.

Regardless, maybe using the command+z (undo) immediately after would work if it happens again. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you RadDave! pm-r, there is nothing obvious why this is happening.Yes, that is what I did was command z over and over to get back to where I could see my articles. Thank you so much for replying and trying to help. I really appreciate it. I'm not sure that I understand the 'flashing insertion point'. I've never had any issue with inserting a picture and it causing pages to disappear. When I insert, I have to go in and change the picture to 'floating' in the inspector thing. At that point is when pages disappear. In order for me to be able to move the picture around, it has to be floating instead of 'inline'. It is automatically 'inline' when it is inserted. Could this have anything to do with my problem? I've never had things disappear when changing it to floating before...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.