Transferring files from mid-2007 MacBook to a new MacBook Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 2015 13" OS X El Capitan
I currently have a MacBook from mid-2007. It is running OS 10.6. I know that Apple hasn't been sending out security updates for 10.6 for a while, but I am only just now able to afford a new laptop (and anyways this MacBook still works all right). I have no indications that there is anything wrong with my current MacBook security-wise, but I am wondering if there is anything I should do or know before I buy the new one and transfer all my files over (i.e. how do I avoid transferring any invisible problems to the new laptop, and is that even possible). I am planning to buy a 128 GB, 13" Air.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I currently have a MacBook from mid-2007. It is running OS 10.6. I know that Apple hasn't been sending out security updates for 10.6 for a while, but I am only just now able to afford a new laptop (and anyways this MacBook still works all right). I have no indications that there is anything wrong with my current MacBook security-wise, but I am wondering if there is anything I should do or know before I buy the new one and transfer all my files over (i.e. how do I avoid transferring any invisible problems to the new laptop, and is that even possible). I am planning to buy a 128 GB, 13" Air.

Hello and congrats on a new computer - depending on your present (and projected) needs, you might want to consider upping your storage to 256 GB, if the budget is there?

Also, keep in mind that your new computer will have Yosemite (i.e. 10.10.2 currently w/ 10.10.3 in beta testing), so a BIG jump for your older software - so consider what you need to transfer & update?

But for starters, check Apple's support article on Migration Assistant and read carefully - a number of important decisions to make - I'm sure others will come along w/ further advice. Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 12.40.13 PM.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much! I will definitely keep that article handy for when I am ready to transfer my files. I will also look into what exactly I will need to transfer and what can/should stay behind.

The budget is tight, but I also want to make a sound investment and avoid buying something that will turn out to be inadequate early on. I will do some research into the benefits of the 256 GB model over the 128 GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much! I will definitely keep that article handy for when I am ready to transfer my files. I will also look into what exactly I will need to transfer and what can/should stay behind.

The budget is tight, but I also want to make a sound investment and avoid buying something that will turn out to be inadequate early on. I will do some research into the benefits of the 256 GB model over the 128 GB.

Hi again - yep, you likely have some apps that may not have Yosemite equivalents or ones that will need to be upgraded to function on the new OS X.

I have a 2 y/o rMBPro w/ a 256 SSD (storage occupied shown below) - have a lot of audio (MP3s that I put on our iPads & iPhone), but notice little in the way of photos & no movies, so if you're planning to put on a LOT of multimedia, then your storage will disappear quickly. Also, the folks here recommend about 20% 'free' storage just to allow the computer to have enough 'breathing room'.

Another consideration is the RAM - I have 8 GB in my laptop - Apple says that Yosemite will run on 2 GB of RAM, but most state that 4 GB is probably the best minimum amount - so going up to 8 GB would give you a spunkier machine and who knows 'how soon' Apple will bring out the next OS X? So just another thought. Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 2.46.32 PM.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks--that's really good to know. This is taking this thread away from my original security question, but I think I currently have 110 GB of stuff on my old MacBook (if I am reading the right section in system profiler). So that doesn't give me much extra room. The point about the RAM is something I also hadn't thought of (I'm not really the best when it comes to technology).

Thanks again for the help! I'm so excited to get the MacBook Air, but I have to wait another week...

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Moonandtree, perhapes we skimmed over the security questions cause you kinda answered them yourself when you said, "I know that Apple hasn't been sending out security updates for 10.6 for a while".
So yes, that means no security updates to protect your computer from new or even current internet threats. Under those circumstances I am tempted to say do not use this computer to browse the internet at all. However you may continue to use "trusted" sites but really it is like relegating your old Macbook to the status of an expensive typewriter.
Really there is no good answer to this, other than upgrading the OSX to a more current, supported version. Unfortunately that would mean spending money both on OS and RAM.
My advice is to sell it on eBay or similar to someone who is willing to spend to update it. After all you say it is working fine so you could spend the money on your new laptop to increase storage and buy a USB external for Time Machine backups.
One last thing, please read this reference on selling a used Mac. You will save yourself and your buyer a lot of headaches if you follow this to the letter.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201065 (this is a trusted site)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! Yes, I know I've been risking it by continuing to use this old laptop. I do very minimal exploring on the Internet, but still.

But now that I can afford to upgrade, I just want to make sure that if I have picked up anything bad that I don't know about (malware, or anything else that runs in such a way that I don't know it's there), that I don't take that with me to the new one. I don't even know if that could happen, but I thought I should ask.

Thanks for the info on reselling my old MacBook--I'll keep that in mind as an option to bring in a bit of money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But now that I can afford to upgrade, I just want to make sure that if I have picked up anything bad that I don't know about (malware, or anything else that runs in such a way that I don't know it's there), that I don't take that with me to the new one. I don't even know if that could happen, but I thought I should ask................

Hello again - you can DL and run ClamXav which mainly will pick up Windows threats which would not affect your new OS X machine but could be passed on to those using Windows. This is a free program and the most recent version is stated to support 10.6 - also, about the only AV app recommended on this site - just for the record, I do not use the program on my Macs - did on an old Linux laptop when I had PCs.

Also take a look at AdwareMedic - however, see the quote below from their website, i.e. you'll have to go to the link on the site in bold below. Dave :)

AdwareMedic requires a Mac running Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or later.
(Users of Mac OS X 10.6.8 or older should use my manual removal instructions.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, Dave! I will do this before I transfer my files.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you've already got 110 GB used on your current hard drive will definitely want something larger than that on the new machine. If your initial post is any indication you keep your systems for a while. If that's the case try to get as much hard drive space and ram (memory) as you can afford. I wouldn't worry too much about screen you can easily add an external monitor if extra screen real estate is needed.

Be sure to take a look at Apple's refurbished offerings as that can sometimes save you a bit of money.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the help, everyone. I have just ordered my new MBA. After reading advice in this thread and others, I decided to order it with 256GB storage and 8GB RAM, because I want this new MacBook to last as long as it can. I should be getting it in just under two weeks! Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.