Finder Windows

Reaction score
Is there any way I can open a second finder window without it opening over the first one? Surely nobody wants this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, they always overlap, but you can drag and resize the windows so they remain alongside each other. The problem with that method is that you need to do it each time. Otherwise you'll need a third party Finder replacement:

I use Path Finder. It's not free, however. There are also other Finder replacement apps or enhancement plug ins. Do a Google search.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
XtraFinder - free and adds tabs into Finder so you don't have to use a 2nd window.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The current incarnation of Finder does a tabbed window similar to the way that Safari handles tabbed web pages. Once you've got the first window open Command clicking a folder or disk icon opens that item in a tab in the same window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I think you just mean opening a second window, instead of the folder replacing the contents of the window you're viewing. Yes, you can do that in preferences. You can either have new folders open in the current window (which I think is what you don't like) or new folders opening in a new window.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read his post again. He does not want the windows to overlap - and in order to do that you're going to need a third party app or use tabs as suggested by Slydude.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Surely nobody wants this?

Just wanted to mention that the Mac OS has been like this since the 1980's when the very first Macintosh computer came out in 1984.:)

It's not really about wanting it or not. It's just the way it is.:) Think about things from the flip-side. If Finder windows NEVER overlapped..a large number of folks wouldn't like this either. The overlapping allows for lots of flexibility.

As mentioned in the thread so far. Overlapping windows can easily be moved & rearranged so they don't overlap. Or the use of 3rd party apps can be used to customize things to your liking.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read his post again. He does not want the windows to overlap - and in order to do that you're going to need a third party app or use tabs as suggested by Slydude.

I read the post. Why are you so sure that "opening over the first one" equals "(two windows) overlap"? It could just as easily mean "new folder opens in the current window" could it not? Perhaps your interpretation keys on the word "first" implying a second, but that's not a slam dunk. We're talkin' English here, the world's most ambiguous language. ;)

Nick, the OP did not use the word "overlap" anywhere.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, he did say "opening over the first one". To me (and apparently Nick also) that means overlapping. However, we won't really know for sure until the OP responds. ?? ;D

OP
B
Reaction score
I did mean two windows overlapping. It just seems odd that there is no setting that allows you to open two windows side by side instead of having to drag both windows in to position in order to transfer a file between them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did mean two windows overlapping. It just seems odd that there is no setting that allows you to open two windows side by side instead of having to drag both windows in to position in order to transfer a file between them.

Ok, what would your preferred arrangement be if you have 3 windows open? Four? Five? ...see where I'm going? How would the programmers account for that?

To me (and apparently Nick also) that means overlapping.
Or you could posit that Nick picked up the "overlapping" idea from your post before his. Just sayin'. ;)
I took the idea from your post at first as well. When I looked in the next day, the other possible interpretation occurred to me, so I posted that in case it might be helpful.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Like I stated in my first reply and also the reply from moderator "bobtomay"... a third party app is needed. Try the one that bobtomay recommended first since that's free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.