80GB Hardrive/Macbook,should I bother?

Reaction score
have final cut studio on my 80 gig mac, leaves a bout 20 to run on, is that just an excercise in frustration, should i just go out right now and get a better mac? Or try to make it work.

C

chas_m

Sorry, the Psychic Hotline went out of business. Try reading this and trying again:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/313284-writing-quality-post.html

In the meantime, yes, it was foolish to even install FCS on such a tiny drive. I'm not sure how old that drive is, but I don't think I've seen one that small since the turn of the century, so it's probably near to failure anyway.

Whether you need a better Mac or not relies on you reading that post I linked to above. But whether you need about 10-50X or better more storage is clear: you do.

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks, you answered me inspite of yourself, more replies please, but i tend to think this guy is right. may not even try to use this laptop, got it cheap, can't spend alot on a laptop while i'm trying to get good camera equipment too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
have final cut studio on my 80 gig mac, leaves a bout 20 to run on, is that just an excercise in frustration, should i just go out right now and get a better mac? Or try to make it work.

You seem to be focusing on the storage amount in this MacBook. If it has an 80gig HD in it…with 20 gig free…that means that 60gig of storage is being used.

What I can tell you is…the OS and Final Cut Studio are not the only things residing on the HD. Since the OS + Final Cut do not take up 60gig of storage space. Maybe if you told us what else is installed on the HD…we could help.

An by the way. You could always install a larger HD into the MacBook.:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
You seem to be focusing on the storage amount in this MacBook. If it has an 80gig HD in it…with 20 gig free…that means that 60gig of storage is being used.

What I can tell you is…the OS and Final Cut Studio are not the only things residing on the HD. Since the OS + Final Cut do not take up 60gig of storage space. Maybe if you told us what else is installed on the HD…we could help.

An by the way. You could always install a larger HD into the MacBook.:)

- Nick

well, the story of this macbook is, I bought it off craigslist for 80 bucks, thinking that all I wanted to use is final cut and that it wouldn't matter too much if that's all i needed. I was surprised that final cut studio uses 52GB and not only that, it's not supposed to run with less than 128vram, i found a workaround for it. the Macbook is a 2006 version, 4GB RAM and a Lion 10. something or other operating system, Intel duo core processor I think. So far I haven't bothered to try and edit, I made some films about ten years ago on a mac and it was one of the most painstaking things I've ever done, I don't want to set myself up for more headaches than i have to, yet, I know there is no way around it because I've done it before. I should have thought it out better, the other guy says 10 to 50 times more memory? that means 800 to 4000 GBs? that sounds like a ridiculous amount. You mention a larger HD but I don't know how much this old laptop would support. I'm thinking of the saying "penny wise, dollar foolish" as it becomes fairly clear that I'll have to buy another Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should have thought it out better, the other guy says 10 to 50 times more memory? that means 800 to 4000 GBs? that sounds like a ridiculous amount.

Yes…that is a ridiculous amount!;)

You mention a larger HD but I don't know how much this old laptop would support. I'm thinking of the saying "penny wise, dollar foolish" as it becomes fairly clear that I'll have to buy another Mac.

Well…you could say that…but you would be incorrect!;) Installing a larger HD into this MacBook would really not cost that much in the grand scheme of things.:)

For a mere $26.99 this 160gig HD could be installed:
WD Scorpio Blue WD1600BPVT-FR 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

Or for a little bit more…this 320gig HD could be installed for $39.99:
Western Digital Scorpio Blue RFHWD3200BPVT 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Manufacture Recertified Bare Drive - Newegg.com

Of course to keep the costs down…you would want to install it yourself.:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes…that is a ridiculous amount!;)

Well…you could say that…but you would be incorrect!;) Installing a larger HD into this MacBook would really not cost that much in the grand scheme of things.:)

For a mere $26.99 this 160gig HD could be installed:
WD Scorpio Blue WD1600BPVT-FR 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

Or for a little bit more…this 320gig HD could be installed for $39.99:
Western Digital Scorpio Blue RFHWD3200BPVT 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Manufacture Recertified Bare Drive - Newegg.com

Of course to keep the costs down…you would want to install it yourself.:)

- Nick

that sounds like the best idea i've heard yet, I'll have to buy an osx disk too probably but that's ok. I'm not too concerned about anything other than being able to edit and do it relatively hassle free(I say relatively because it's a headache even with all the proper hardware). thanks, I think that is nthe route I'll go more than likely.

C

chas_m

The reason I said he needs 800GB to 4TB is because those sizes are pretty common for working with video these days. Beyond the room the software takes up, he might just want a little from for the actual video ya know ... :)

Trying to run FCS on a nine-year-old anything with an 80GB hd to do video editing is like saying I want to enter earth orbit using this bottle rocket. Go get a newer Mac, trying to upgrade a nearly decade-old machine for this purpose is sheer folly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trying to run FCS on a nine-year-old anything with an 80GB hd to do video editing is like saying I want to enter earth orbit using this bottle rocket.

Maybe the OP is using a pretty old version of Final Cut (close in vintage to the computer). So maybe it won't run too bad.

Yes agreed.:) An 80 HD is pretty small for what the OP wants to do.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Maybe the OP is using a pretty old version of Final Cut (close in vintage to the computer). So maybe it won't run too bad.

Yes agreed.:) An 80 HD is pretty small for what the OP wants to do.

- Nick

the final cut version is from 2009 so I didn't think it would be out of the ballpark for a 2006, but I would have been better off getting something at least from 2007. However, I noticed, for whatever reason, MACS hold their value much better than the Windows Laptops, I just sold a 1500 dollar thinkpad and made about 75 bucks off of it, it was barely 3 years old, Macs aren't like that, I can't find anything decent for anything less than 300. As I said, once I start editing, I know it's going to be a headache, I've made 4 films and even with top notch equipement the devil in the machine drops and does things that make no sense, so now that I am getting my own equipement, I'm steeling myself before hand. I cannot see why 300GB wouldn't be enough though, doesn't make sense to me. But maybe he's right, I don't know. Thanks for your time guys, it is appreciated.

M

MacInWin

Rendering video is one of the most demanding things to be done with a computer. It strains the CPU, the memory and the hard drive. So what you have is a very old machine (8-9 years), with a very antique processor (9 years, minimum), a very small hard drive and relatively slow external interfaces. I fearlessly predict a very frustrating time, unless you really like watching the machine spend hours and hours (maybe days) rendering a movie for you. Frankly, depending on the size movie you hope to create, a Mac Pro (Yes, the very, very expensive one) may be a much better decision. It was actually designed to do exactly what you want to do. But it will be a bit more than $80.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And I agree with jake (wonder of wonders)!

You will find 80GB just not enough. Most esperienced Mac users here suggest 20-25% free space on any hard drive for it to work anywhere near efficiently. And then amount of memory installed comes into play. If it has 4GB it is nor a 2006 which can handle onle 2/3GB depending on the model. For what you have in mind suggest a model with at least 8GB installed.

And Lion OS X.7 is now three versions old and that is as far as the MB can be upgraded. Suggest selling it for $120 and putting it towards a later model to save all this heartbreak and frustration.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi and welcome!

I have been a very busy girl and will be for the next month, so I have not had time to chime in as much in a timely matter or I would have jumped in sooner.

I am the media coordinator at my church which means I do all the video work, IT work, anything involving tech. In an average week, I will create a minimum of three hour long videos for sale, tv, youtube and at least one or more short commercials. I can encode all of those in under 30 minutes. I use Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects and I have also used Final Cut Pro.

I have two editors. One a rebuilt and tricked out Mac Pro and a Windows 7 server board also tricked out. Both have high end video cards and lots of memory with SSD drives.

I also have a 2009 Macbook with 4GB of memory and a 160GB hard drive. I would not even consider using it for video editing. I have used it to capture live performances but she will get hot if she is not on a cooling mat.

Editing video is very machine intensive. You are asking your computer to take raw video, possibly pictures, music, titles and show you in a preview what you will be getting when you encode the final results. I have worked on less than adequate computers and I will tell you it is no fun and at times beyond frustrating.

I do have a 15" 2011 Macbook Pro with i7 processor, Dual video cards: AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1 GB GDDR5 & HD Graphics 3000 with 384MG DDR3 shared plus 16GB of memory and a 1TB hard drive (plan to change that to an SSD soon). She does a very nice job creating videos. I have used her to create short commercials and while encoding takes longer she does fine for editing.

With what you have listed I would not recommend upgrading the hard drive let alone anything else. The dual core processor will struggle to handle video work. iMovie would probably be okay but I get the idea you want to have a more professional platform to work from. You said you did some editing 10 years ago. So did I and I will tell you things have changed - for the better thank goodness! But it also requires a beefy computer to handle the load.

What chas_m was referring to when he said 800GB to 4TB he was referring to external storage drives. I would recommend at least 1 external drive - 7200 RPM speed as large as you can afford. I have lots of internal and external storage drives - no idea how many terabytes - lots.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I have it on very good authority Lisa the 17 MBP are HIM's. One presumes you are doing 'hymns' on it also?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Harry - ALL my computers are Girls! ;) Why - you ask? Girls are persnickety, finicky, but willing to work hard and get the job done! :Smirk: (I call all computers she/her at work too and get asked this question.)

As for "hymns" - all the time! :D

Lisa

OP
G
Reaction score
Rendering video is one of the most demanding things to be done with a computer. It strains the CPU, the memory and the hard drive. So what you have is a very old machine (8-9 years), with a very antique processor (9 years, minimum), a very small hard drive and relatively slow external interfaces. I fearlessly predict a very frustrating time, unless you really like watching the machine spend hours and hours (maybe days) rendering a movie for you. Frankly, depending on the size movie you hope to create, a Mac Pro (Yes, the very, very expensive one) may be a much better decision. It was actually designed to do exactly what you want to do. But it will be a bit more than $80.

Ya, I believe you, i've been looking around a bit on craigslist for a deal. when I made films 10 years ago, it was a real headache and a blessing, amazing that the technology was available but there were a million bugs and deficiencies which were **** to work with, absolute ****. And these were on University college desktop Macs. I'll do what I have to do, I can't see doing much to cut corners from here, got a good camera for a couple hundred, got the final cut studio for 150, good deals, yes, but it quickly adds up.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

I have been a very busy girl and will be for the next month, so I have not had time to chime in as much in a timely matter or I would have jumped in sooner.

I am the media coordinator at my church which means I do all the video work, IT work, anything involving tech. In an average week, I will create a minimum of three hour long videos for sale, tv, youtube and at least one or more short commercials. I can encode all of those in under 30 minutes. I use Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects and I have also used Final Cut Pro.

I have two editors. One a rebuilt and tricked out Mac Pro and a Windows 7 server board also tricked out. Both have high end video cards and lots of memory with SSD drives.

I also have a 2009 Macbook with 4GB of memory and a 160GB hard drive. I would not even consider using it for video editing. I have used it to capture live performances but she will get hot if she is not on a cooling mat.

Editing video is very machine intensive. You are asking your computer to take raw video, possibly pictures, music, titles and show you in a preview what you will be getting when you encode the final results. I have worked on less than adequate computers and I will tell you it is no fun and at times beyond frustrating.

I do have a 15" 2011 Macbook Pro with i7 processor, Dual video cards: AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1 GB GDDR5 & HD Graphics 3000 with 384MG DDR3 shared plus 16GB of memory and a 1TB hard drive (plan to change that to an SSD soon). She does a very nice job creating videos. I have used her to create short commercials and while encoding takes longer she does fine for editing.

With what you have listed I would not recommend upgrading the hard drive let alone anything else. The dual core processor will struggle to handle video work. iMovie would probably be okay but I get the idea you want to have a more professional platform to work from. You said you did some editing 10 years ago. So did I and I will tell you things have changed - for the better thank goodness! But it also requires a beefy computer to handle the load.

What chas_m was referring to when he said 800GB to 4TB he was referring to external storage drives. I would recommend at least 1 external drive - 7200 RPM speed as large as you can afford. I have lots of internal and external storage drives - no idea how many terabytes - lots.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

It hurts but it helps, I'm also a musician who has had to learn midi, digital recording, frustrating but I couldn't care less about the technological parts n(bits,bites,gb's etc..,) but rather the job I'm trying to get done. Learning about some of this stuff is a necessary bore to me but I've done it. glad to meet someone who is into film making. What kind of Mac would you recommend for the 2009 final cut? I don't think I need a post 2009 comp for something that came out in 2009.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.