• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Os 11

P

piece of apple

Hey,

Do you guys this there will be Mac OS 11? Or is "X" melted in with the Aqua User Interface, and won't be replaced in a while. I heard rumors that Apple is going to do with they did with System 6 - wait like five to eight years before releasing the next "thing"

But how long can they keep streching OS X? Do you guys think it's done time for a replacement?

AT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I would hope that they keep OSX running for as long as they can, they're finally actually making good money. I believe Apple will run the gamut when it comes to OSX, releasing 10.4, .5, .6, .7 and so on until it's time to switch to OS 11.

OP
L

lil

System 6, five-six years? Not how I remember it :flower: System 6 was around for about 2-3 years I think tops.

Sounds much more like System 7 to me, released in 1991, put to rest in 1997.

There will be an OS 11 (XI) in the end, It has always been intended that Mac OS X is Mac OS 10, not Mac OS 'Ex'—as I so often hear it wrongly said; even when I worked at the AppleCentre colleagues called it that—then two of them didn't even own a Mac.... (another matter!).

OS X they can go as long as they like; after all there have been some pretty major changes between 10.0 to 10.4.

It would seem that the foundation OS X has brought with it will be around for many years yet and I should imagine that a shift that occurred from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X will not be around the corner any time soon.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
lil said:
System 6, five-six years? Not how I remember it :flower: System 6 was around for about 2-3 years I think tops.

Sounds much more like System 7 to me, released in 1991, put to rest in 1997.

There will be an OS 11 (XI) in the end, It has always been intended that Mac OS X is Mac OS 10, not Mac OS 'Ex'—as I so often hear it wrongly said; even when I worked at the AppleCentre colleagues called it that—then two of them didn't even own a Mac.... (another matter!).

OS X they can go as long as they like; after all there have been some pretty major changes between 10.0 to 10.4.

It would seem that the foundation OS X has brought with it will be around for many years yet and I should imagine that a shift that occurred from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X will not be around the corner any time soon.

Vicky

Eh, I still call it oh-ess-ex, more people know what I'm talking about ;) Since Mac is based off Unix now (which I think was a fabulous decision), I don't think they'll be jumping ship from that any time soon, if ever. OS 11 can wait until holography kicks in or we get direct neural interfaces. I can see it now - "Search your memories with Spotlight's direct mind search in OS 11" haha

I do think some of their patents, like the resolution-independent gui, would be awesome to incorporate into either OS X or 11. Makes you wonder where displays are going...the 30" is ginormous and I know of some people who use 42"+ plasma/lcd displays as their monitors. How big is too big? Honestly, I'm debating even going for a 24" Dell monitor. I just got a 20" widescreen Dell LCD and it's really a perfect size for me; the resolution isn't so high that I can't read anything and I don't have to turn my head to see the whole screen. I've tried out computing on my projector, too...I think the industry is going to be forced to come out with holographic technology. We just need to call Ben Affleck and have him pull a "Paycheck" to get us the displays :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
kaidomac said:
I can see it now - "Search your memories with Spotlight's direct mind search in OS 11" haha

Now that would be useful. I'd be using that about a hundred times a day. ****, I'd be happy with just a decent contact manager-- I can't remember names for anything. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
What will they do when they get to 10.10? That sounds silly and 10.11 is just confusing. It looks like the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, once you get to 10.10 you're technically at 11, so there won't be a 10.10.

Actually, 10.10 would just be 10.1 in version history talk...and we've already had to go through Puma (ugh).

OP
P

piece of apple

ha ha os x 10.10 ... i ain't good at math either

but i agree, keep up the os x series, i'm loving every bit of it. plus, they keep getting better with each release.

and i agree, until something way cool comes out, apple's probably gonna stick to their guns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
OS 11, is going to be a pretty good operating system, even though its really far away, just think of all the possibilities available for that system, we are only half way through 10.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
OS 11... I'd like to see that, but not until OS X is TRULY done... So far, All I've seen of OS X is Panther and Tiger, and I've only used Tiger. I didn't really get into Apples until I got my U2 iPod in 2004 (and that got the ball rolling for me... ;-)). I think when OS 11 comes out, we'll have jetpacks (which by the way prototypes really have been built...)

And, if I'm not mistaken, 10.10 was already released! (OS X 10.10 is the same as 10.1...? I think they'd go into 10.9.1, then 10.9.9.1, and so on)

OS X is an amazing OS, though, better than any I've ever used (with the exception of 10.4)

and I've always said OS "ex", never OS 10... as a matter of a fact i've never called id os ten...

lol Ben Affleck in Paycheck... that might be helpful.

but i hope OS X sticks around for at least a few more years... but what's after tiger? i think the last OS X will have to be cheetah, as it's the fastest cat...

and what's honestly so bad about os x puma? was it really that slow?

OP
L

lil

Puma was a big step forward from Cheetah (10.0) in itself, so compared to that it was OK, 10.2 was what OS X should have been at 10.0.

10.0 was pretty but slow on the hardware of the time. It was essentially another public beta in my book and made me stick with OS 9 until Panther.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
I would like to see OS XI Sounds cool :) I always called it OH ESS X ,too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
face it, OH-ESS-X just sounds cooler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
BlindingLights said:
face it, OH-ESS-X just sounds cooler

as Bender (from Futurama) once said, "Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer 'extortion.' The 'X' makes it sound cool. "

OP
L

lil

Cooler or not, it is really OS 10 ;)

What got my back up was that I was working with people supposedly trained up to Apple Product Professional status calling it the wrong thing ;)

Vicky
Vicky

Reaction score
Apple is probably trying to shift away from the numbering anyway, using names. They should stick with names, and when OS 11 should comes, it will be a complete shift in computing, probably when Interfacing with Computer changes completely, we can't know. Who would have dreamt of indexed searching like spotlight back in 2002 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope we go towards ZUIs, or Zoomable User Interfaces. Looks to be promising technology.

Here's a demo written in Java.

OP
P

piece of apple

surfwax95 said:
I hope we go towards ZUIs, or Zoomable User Interfaces. Looks to be promising technology.

Here's a demo written in Java.

wwwoooww zui ... gawd i've never seen anything more beta than this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Really OSX will only be replaced when it's time in through and then Desktop/System is getting old. Tiger proved that it has a long time to go as they are only getting more features into it all the time and they aren't being held back. OS11 is a long way away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.