Apple ID frustration

Reaction score
My father is 90-years-old and hardly knows anything about computers. He told me he made an Apple ID account on his second hand Macbook pro. Well, his computer needs updating and he forgot his Apple ID password.

What makes this worse is that when he made the account, he used a false birthday because he was afraid someone would steal his identity (he said he saw it in the news).

What's is even more worse, I deleted his gmail account that was associated with his Apple ID account because he was complaining about so much spam mail.

Now I don't know what to do. You have to pay for Apple support and I don't want to pay any money. I think his Apple ID has other sensitive information and I'm afraid someone will hack it and steal his identity

Apple locked the Apple ID account because I attempted too many times on the Apple website.

What should I do now? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
From what you are saying the email used to create the account has been deleted, the password has been forgotten, and he entered his wrong birth date, which I am not sure they ask for but if they did, he doesn't remember what it was anyway. Does he even know the answer to any security questions they may have?

The only personal information they may have is his address and phone number if he provided them and possibly a credit card if he gave them one. He can cancel or change the credit card number if that is the case.

At this point he may be better off creating a new id. You can give minimal information - no credit card is needed, and I would suggest someone help him set it up and keep track of the email address and password used.

Lisa

OP
F
Reaction score
From what you are saying the email used to create the account has been deleted, the password has been forgotten, and he entered his wrong birth date, which I am not sure they ask for but if they did, he doesn't remember what it was anyway. Does he even know the answer to any security questions they may have?

The only personal information they may have is his address and phone number if he provided them and possibly a credit card if he gave them one. He can cancel or change the credit card number if that is the case.

At this point he may be better off creating a new id. You can give minimal information - no credit card is needed, and I would suggest someone help him set it up and keep track of the email address and password used.

Lisa

Apple ID on the Apple site asks for your birthday. He doesn't if he added sensitive information like credits cards or his address. That's what I'm worrying about. Someone could make the same email that was deleted and steal information from his account. I guess he has no choice but to make a new Apple ID account? My hope that it will ask security questions. It did not. Only birthday.

Reaction score
Apple ID on the Apple site asks for your birthday. He doesn't if he added sensitive information like credits cards or his address. That's what I'm worrying about. Someone could make the same email that was deleted and steal information from his account. I guess he has no choice but to make a new Apple ID account? My hope that it will ask security questions. It did not. Only birthday.

You can contact Apple support for an Apple ID issue and they will not ask you for payment, just let them know that your issue is with iCloud and Apple ID.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. I looked at my id and I don't see my birthday in any of the info but it may have been asked. He might not have set up any security questions. I believe that was an extra step that I had to set up online.

Anyway, with all you have said looks like the only course is to set up a new id. The odds of someone getting his old email and then figuring out his password - which both of you have forgotten - are very very very small. Think about it - his name and address are already public knowledge, he used an incorrect birthday anyway, a phone number is public too. I wouldn't be too worried.

Make sure to sign out of iCloud, the iTunes Store, App Store, FaceTime, Find My Friends, Find My iPhone, and iMessage on each device that might still be using the old Apple ID if he has any of these.
Then create a new Apple id.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can contact Apple support for an Apple ID issue and they will not ask you for payment, just let them know that your issue is with iCloud and Apple ID.

It is worth a try. I have no idea if this will work but all they can say is "no"!

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I recall correctly the Apple ID is treated somewhat differently from say an iTunes Store or App Store account. A straight Apple ID asks for basic information such as name, address, security questions, etc. but doesn't need payment information. Payment information is only asked for if you try to log make a purchase using that Apple ID.
Here's a look at the Apple ID creation page

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Fruggy a very difficult situation for you. Are you a Mac User? If so set Dad's and your computer to the same operating system and you set up a new Apple ID using passords etc known to you. Then you can update Dad's computer when and as necessary.

Don't get the old fellow into too much of a spin about it or he will simply leave the computer in the cupboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

+1!!!

They can usually sort out most legit problems without too much problem. Just have some supporting info ready.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And on top of this all, I think you are both worrying too much about identity theft. Does it happen ? Yes. Will it happen to you or family, I'm betting no.
With the millions upon millions of apple ID's out there, I'm sure they won't target your Dad, if he doesn't even have payment information out there.
What you have rad or seen, are isolated cases. I have had my same AppleID and password for the last 8 yrs, without a hint of someone buying a App or song on my account.
It is reasons like this, that I use my Bday in most cases, so as to not have it come back and bite me in later years.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Creating a new Apple ID is by far the easiest way to overcome your problem. Harry's idea is also a good one. Either way you will need another Apple ID for your dad. The only catch will be purchases made from iTunes or the App Store, they will not be available on the new ID.
The big issue here is the deletion of the email address. Without it Apple can not send you a link to reset a password so I don't think Apple Support will be able to help you.
I suggest when setting up the new ID you create a iCloud email account for this situation in the future. Your dad doesn't need to use it for anything else except his Apple ID. It is usually your name@iCloud.com or me.com so easy to remember. And lastly please get a copy of his admin and Apple ID passwords for the future.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Oh, and welcome to this forum Fruggy.
Being 63 myself I realise memory can become a problem. I have hundeds of site passwords and I keep them as MS Word files in an encrypted dmg folder on my computer and my iPhone.
This is a simple thing to do using Disk Utility so long as you don't forget your Admin Password and the dmg Password. Meaning only two Passwords to remember.
If you are interested I can post the instructions to do this.:D

Reaction score
Ok I had to do this..

And i have some bad news for you.

1. your not going to get that account back sorry

Let me explain why Apple uses your birthdate to verify your account status it also sends a replacement password to the e-mail address listed on that account by removing the gmail account you have basically killed your apple id and apple support won't even help you if the birthdates don't match.

See i had the same issue except you remember apples autocorrect that works in maverick and yosemite and in mountain lion it decided to change my birthdate associated with my apple id so when i went to fix my account it failed to find my birthdate i went to the apple store they said there was nothing they could do try support support said there was nothing they could do because the birthdays didn't match

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
What's is even more worse, I deleted his gmail account that was associated with his Apple ID account because he was complaining about so much spam mail.

What should I do now? Thanks in advance.
Are you able to recreate the gmail account, if so do it right away. That way you can "reserve" it and with a password that only you know. Whatever you do, configure his mail reader to not look at the gmail account. If there are any others that have a lot of spam mail from any mail account (funny, my Gmail used to have a lot, but in the past few years, it has diminished to an acceptable level), unless you are paying for it, don't delete it, just remove it from your mail reader.

And do what others have said about creating a new Apple ID, which is the best solution. If you have an Apple ID, set your father's Mac using your Apple ID.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just give it another 13 or 14 years Rod and then tell us how that memory is going lol!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.