iMac and WIFI repeater recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 Imac 27"
Hi Gang;

I have a late 2012 27" iMac. Joined the forum last year before I got the iMac and to be frank it's worked so well I haven't had to come back here with any problems. A perfect machine.

Now I need some advice however. I bought a fifth wheel trailer last summer and it's about 100' from the house and I'll be moving into the trailer this spring so I can remodel my house.

I have an Asus RT-AC56U router. It does B, G, N, AC and is dual band 2.4/5 Ghz. I can sit in the trailer on the couch with my iPAD and can connect and browse no problem. I can even stream from the router no problem. However, the iMac will be sitting on the computer desk on the other side of the trailer in a slide room. My iPad doesn't have coverage there so I know that the iMac won't be able to connect either.

I don't want to run a ethernet cable all the way out the the trailer and would like to stick with a wireless solution. Problem is there are so many options my head is swimming. I was thinking anything from a external USB gain antenna on the outside of the trailer to perhaps a wifi repeater.

I've seen repeaters on Amazon for as low as $20 and since I do have decent coverage from the existing router in one part of the trailer I don't think I'll need a lot of additional power to go an extra 15' or so. Problem is through my reading I've seen some devices that will work on earlier versions of OS/X but Yosemite seems to be a problem and of course I have Yosemite.

Just looking for pretty much a plug and play solution without a lot of complicated setup. I'm pretty ignorant about repeaters even though apparently my Asus has that function. I don't even know if a repeater needs to have the correct password or if it just forwards the packets encrypted and end machine [imac] would need the password only.

I could play around and try various things but if anyone has an idea that you know will work good with the iMac I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Thanks in advance!!

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.