And here we go again...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've read the article and it seems legit. Haven't tried the app yet so...

After you've tried the app, let us know the results. And have you downloaded | installed the latest Apple security update (see my thread above)?

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Ok, ran the app. Did a full scan (there's a box at the bottom).
Says nothing is hijacked but found 43 problems, potential problems.
Aperture 2
Dropbox 1
iStumbler 2
Command Line Tools 2

The rest were Java related, which is understandable.
There is no way to save the results. The magnifying glass on the right will show the suspect file in Finder.
There are two more papers on the subject which I'm making available here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45470764/papers.zip
This may be worth looking into, particularly for developers.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I am not in your league as far as computer experience is concerned; but what worries me is when an unknown (to me) site claims I/we are vulnerable to some form of attack or intrusion and then there appears an app which will detect and protect us from same.

I recognise my novice status, but can we be sure that the "risk" is real and that our "defender" is legit?

It would be great if the seniors on the Forum got involved to advise we lesser experienced. (and, no, I am NOT being sarcastic)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks Craig for sharing this. . .

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well, despite my slight scepticism, I downloaded the app. The "ordinary" scan found nothing that cause the pulse rate to increase. The "full scan" found 2 Hijacks and 62 vulnerabilities.

Both Hijacks related to the Microsoft Messenger app which I have never used. Although the app suggested merely deleting two folders, I binned the whole app. Re-scan: no Hijacks.

The 62 vulnerabilities: One in Dropbox, a couple in Aperture, a couple in iPhoto. All the others were related to Microsoft Office for Mac (2011) with some reference to Java. Don't know quite know what to do about them.

Am I any wiser? Well, better informed anyway! Got rid of Hijacks.

So, thanks Craig. And apologies for the mild cynicism.

Ian

Last edited:
OP
cradom
Reaction score
You're welcome? I'm no expert, I just post stories that look plausible and I think might be of interest.
The more I learn about this stuff the more I wish I didn't know. I could be like my wife with my nose in Facebook and Pogo all day.
Then again, it probably wouldn't be as much fun :) .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.